Funding for Social Security programs will continue, despite government partial shutdown and lapse in appropriations. Social Security field offices will remain open with limited services, hearing offices will remain open, but Social Security card centers will be closed.
Social Security and disability benefits are funded indefinitely through trust funds, while payments for the aged, blind, or disabled are funded through general revenues. Social Security and Supplemental Security Income payments to beneficiaries will continue with no change in payment dates.
Social Security offices will only provide the following services:
- Help applying for benefits
- Assist you in requesting an appeal
- Change your address or direct deposit information
- Accept reports of death
- Verify or change your citizenship status
- Replace a lost or missing Social Security payment
- Issue a critical payment
- Change a representative payee
- Process a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI recipients only)
Social Security offices will not provide the following services, at this time:
- Issue new or replacement Social Security cards
- Replace your Medicare card
- Issue a proof of income letter
- Requests from third parties for queries
Online Services will remain open but if your visit involves any Social Security-related service not listed above, they will be unable to assist you.