When it comes to our nation's favorite Halloween candies, chocolate wins. For Halloween 2013, 72 percent of all money spent on candy will go for chocolate treats, according to a recent survey from the National Confectioners Association reported in USA Today on October 27.
In the past 52 months, Americans devoted $3.9 billion to buy 3.5 billion chocolate bars, bags and boxes under 3.5 ounces, the standard size consumers pick up at a grocery store checkout, according to market research firm Information Resources.
In contrast, the annual revenue of the U.S. weight-loss industry, including diet books, diet drugs and weight-loss surgeries, amounts to $20 billion.
Feeling guilty about that chocolate you were planning on buying? We're offering some help with a list of the most popular chocolate Halloween candies and corresponding ways to reduce the calories:
- Reese's: Go for a fun size chocolate-rich pouch with just 70 calories of Reese's Pieces Peanut Butter Candies.
- M&M's: There are just 90 calories in M&M's Fun Size Peanut Chocolate Candy (click for additional details).
- Snickers: One fun-size version containing the traditional chocolate, nougat, peanuts, and caramel has only 71 calories (click here for additional details).
- Hershey's: Give yourself a kiss - candy-style. There are 200 calories in nine pieces of Hershey's Kisses, Milk Chocolate variety (click for additional details).
- Kit Kat: Get a kick out of Kit Kats. Three two-piece Kit Kat Snack Size Candy Bars have just 210 calories.