Not only do we have some fantastic games coming for the Nintendo 3DS, but Miiverse is going to bring that Wii U social experience to your handheld.
What is Miiverse? Think of it as an integrated Twitter, but just for video games. You can type a few words about how you feel about a level, draw a doodle of your favorite Pokemon or respond to someones frustration with the final boss. Posts are heavily monitored to prevent obscene content and spoilers. I haven’t once run into a post I wish I hadn’t seen.
This isn't the end all be all list for good games coming to the Nintendo 3DS this year, but you won't want to miss these.
- As the world teeters on the brink of war, you must command and fight alongside an army of heroes against an enemy with the power to destroy empires; a dark dragon and an undead army.
- The Fire Emblem Awakening game tells a deep and immersive fantasy story through beautiful 3D visuals and movies. You'll meet a massive cast of characters, all with unique stories, and different class types and skill sets.
- Your allies can combine their powers and partner on the battlefield, develop relationships, and even marry each other—having profound effects on your gameplay experience. You can even join the battle by creating your own customizable avatar, designed the way you like.
- Extend your adventure with DLC: purchase and download additional maps that continue the story and offer new class types, skills, and more. First map free for a limited time starting launch day.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
- Gaming's Best Tribute to Retro RPGs Enters a New Dimension; Packed with improvements and content: an enhanced graphics engine boasting polygonal enemies and new 3D special effects.
- Upgradeable, customizable skyships that let players travel and battle amid the clouds; an exceedingly atmospheric and fully orchestrated musical score from Yuzo Koshiro
- Expanded, more immersive 3D dungeons with analog camera control; and guild card + character trading functionality via StreetPass.
- You are Only as Good as Your Map and Your Heroes; Celebrate the tradition of classic pen and paper roleplaying games by using the bottom touch screen to chart out your path and the dangers you have encountered. A good map might save your life.
- All-New Casual Play Option; Beginners and newcomers can more easily learn the ropes without fear of setback or death with this new, less daunting mode.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate
- Play as multiple characters throughout history, as you battle your ancestor Dracula, each time learning more about your history and why the Belmont clan must atone for the sins of their forebear. Dare you tempt fate?
- Multiple characters to enjoy, each with unique abilities and skills across different eras. Take control of the legendary Trevor and Simon Belmont and more, as you battle Dracula and his evil minions.
- Pass onto your descendants your newfound abilities in each era and discover the true destiny of the Belmont's. Featuring a huge array of combo's and a deep strategic combat system, this Castlevania is an exciting action game with tons of depth.
- Experience titan fights in full 3D, climb, traverse and overcome huge bosses. Use your secondary weapons and magical abilities to take down these awesome foes.
- Experience super high resolution and detailed 3D polygon graphics with side scrolling areas and full 3D sections combined.
- Use magic to turn the tide of battle! Kill enemies to gain experience and buy new combos and abilities using your travel book. Play well and you will be rewarded.
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
- The new Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon gives players multiple mansions to explore, a variety of puzzles to solve and new ghosts to capture. Armed with the Poltergust 5000, a ghost-sucking, vacuum-like invention, Luigi must complete a number of missions assigned to him by Professor E. Gadd.
- Shining a light on the ghosts is no longer enough to stun them into immobility. Players need to activate a new strobe function to stun the ghosts before sucking them up with the Poltergust 5000.
- Every mansion is filled with unique puzzle elements and ghosts. Players must figure out how to defeat each one of them and find hidden clues and keys to unlock new areas.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Step into a living, breathing world where days and seasons pass in real time and your destiny is yours to create.
- Customization, a major facet of the series, particularly in the player's ability to modify his character's appearance and furnish his living space, has also been enhanced
- The game uses Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D effects.
- Players can now swim in the ocean that borders your Animal Crossing town.
- Life in your Animal Crossing town follows a real world calendar. Playing in the winter might mean it’s snowing, and playing at night will put you under the stars.
Pokemon X & Pokemon Y
- An all-new 3D Pokémon adventure packed with never-before-seen Pokémon will launch worldwide in October 2013. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will present a new generation of Pokémon, and introduce players to an exciting new adventure in a breathtaking 3D world.
- Old and new generations combine; 3 new starter Pokémon; two new legendary Pokémon.
- Over 700 new Pokemon to collect, Gotta Catch ‘Em All!
- Dynamic 3D Battle Camera similar to Pokémon Stadium.