With school out on June 6, there were many fun summer activities taking place later this month and for most of the next for the whole family. Wherther there was art, buying Castaway Cove tickets, or having fun at Campfire, below was a list of fun activities that kicked off the summer season.
The Bible said:
15 So I commend the enjoyment of life because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun. (NIV)
- Thurs., April 24,-Thurs., May 23 "Love of Nature" Photo Show and Competition Monday April 21st, 2014 at 9 a.m. Friday May 23, 2014 River Bend’s 14th Annual “Love of Nature” Photo Show and Competition was coming up soon! This was your chance to show off your photography skills and win cool prizes! Entries were due April 21 at the Kemp Center of the Arts. They were on display April 24th - May 23rd at the “What’s Up Downstairs” Gallery at the Kemp Center for the Arts. Awards and prizes were given May 23! There were 3 youth and adult categories that included: landscape, insects, plants/flowers, and animals. For more information about rules and registration call 940-767-0843, or visit the website http://riverbendnaturecenter.wordpress.com/calendar-of-events/photo-show/
- Tues, April 22-Mon., June 30 Summer Program Registration at Wichita Christian School Summer was a blast at Wichita Christian School! Open to the public, Their action-packed summer programs were designed for ages 2-8. Activities included: field trips, crafts and summer fun, May 28-August 6. They provided 2-day, 3-day, 4-day, and 5-day options! Visit them online at wichitachristian.com or call then at 940-763-1347 for more information.
- May 24, 2014 Castaway Cove Water Park openening Ticket information and seasonal passes available as well as discount group rates.
- Fri., June 6-28 2014 Monty Python's Spamalot! A musical comedy "lovingly ripped off” from the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Like the film, it was a highly irreverent parody of the Arthurian Legend, but it differed from the film in many ways. Spamalot opened June 6th Reserve a spot online today or by calling 322-5000!
This play might have been fun, but the movie the play was based on was not for young children. The film itself was PG. Parents were strongly urged in using their best judgment.
- Sat., June 7, 2014 Light Up the Night at Farmers' Market from 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m-Wednesday November 30 Townsquare Media was hosting its inaugural “Light Up the Night at Farmers’ Market.” The event started at 5:30 p.m. and end at 10:30 p.m. at the intersection of 8th Street and Ohio, at the Downtown Farmers' Market. This was an evening festival with live music by Dog Waltz, food, vendor booths for shopping, spirits, drinks, and savory flavors, all showcased with a beautiful backdrop of stars. They will "Light Up" a portion of both 8th and Ohio Streets with beautifully lit trees and make it a welcoming area for patrons to enjoy home grown flavors from around the community. There were ponies for the kids, along with shopping everyone can enjoy. So come out, bring lawn chairs, enjoy the music, and support local vendors and Farmers' Market in beautiful Downtown Wichita Falls.
- Mon., June 9 HaPaDaCa - 2014 started at 8:30am,-Fri 4 pm. for 3 weeks. The vans picked up children at every elementary school in Wichita Falls, as well as the Boys and Girls Club on Rosewood and Southeast Boys and Girls Club on Armory Rd. a van was provided at the corner of Sumner Terrace and Roanoke Dr. for those living in Lynwood East. The schedule for pick up is on the back of all applications for camp. The cost for camp is $75 per child. If your child is not a Camp Fire member, you will also need to pay a $15 membership fee. There were camperships available to those who couldn’t afford full price. Contact Connie at the office, between 10 am and 3 pm, at 940-322-5209. Each child received swimming lessons every day. They have Splash in the afternoons, so they were in the pool at least twice a day. Please send a swimsuit, towel, sunscreen and good shoes for hiking! The WFISD was graciously supplying breakfast and lunch for those who couldn’t have bought their own.
- Tues., June 24 Eddie Izzard Tuesday June 24th, 2014 at 8 p.m.-Wednesday November 30. One of the most acclaimed comedians of his generation, Izzard’s unique, tangential, absurd, and surreal comic narratives are lauded for their creativity and wit, earning him a New York Drama Desk Award and two Emmys for Dress to Kill, two British Comedy Awards for Top Stand-Up Comedian, and an Olivier Award nomination for Outstanding Achievement.
These were some of the activiries on the local calendar so far. There were many more on the way so stay informed and have fun.