Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

More domestic CL72 progress… and a successful conclusion to the repairs

Highlights and unique features of this non-US market machine. Side view of the bike featuring the "big brake" wheels and long straight baffled exhaust pipes.
Highlights and unique features of this non-US market machine. Side view of the bike featuring the "big brake" wheels and long straight baffled exhaust pipes.
Bill Silver

While waiting for the coveted CL72 parts for the 1965 domestic CL72, I copied down the part numbers which are 274-coded, specifically for the Type 2 version of the 250cc Scrambler.

13000-274-000 crankshaft 14111-274-000 R. Cam (early)

14111-274-010 R. Cam (late) 14121-274-000 L. Cam

23441-274-000 2nd M/S Gear 28T 23460-274-000 2nd Gear C/S 24T

23801-274-810 Sprocket 16T 24701-274-000 gear shift pedal

30200-274-000 Point plate 30251-274-004 Condenser

16101-274-000 R. Carburetor 16139-274-004 Holder Main Jet

16141-274-004 Slide, RH 16102-274-000 L. Carburetor

16146-274-004 Slide, LH 33101-274-000 Bulb H/L

33121-274-003 Reflector, H/L 33130-274-003 Socket, H/L Bulb

33100-274-010 Headlight Assembly 30500-274-000 Coil Ignition

There is a correction to be made about my previous transmission gear comments, made earlier on, in this series of stories. Only the 2nd gear set was changed for the Type 2 transmissions, not the previously stated “2nd and 3rd” gear set changes.

A new throttle cable was received in from my friends at Retrobikes, in WA and is on the installation list, once the rest of the parts are received from Texas and elsewhere. In the interim a package of rubber replacements arrived from Clauss Studios, including the little rubber bumpers for the air filter cover brackets, a centerstand bumper, two air filter tubes and a set of the long, large rear Dream-style footpeg rubbers. The right side rear footpeg hangs down when the rubber fatigues and fails, leaving the footpeg close to the arc of the kickstarter arm when the bike is started up, so you want that one to fold up and stay in place.


With boxes received from Clauss Studios, Ohiocycles, Retrobikes and Ed Moore, I was ready to address the bike, once again. Starting with the throttle cable with part number 17910-273-000 I discovered that it is really a cable which was designed for the CL77s, which have 26mm carburetors and much larger carburetor slides. Installing the cable required running the cable adjusters all the way out in order to minimize the amount of cable slack at the carburetor tops. It is a nicely-made cable, but a bit long for a set of 22mm slide carburetors.

The Clauss Studio parts are all newly made from neoprene rubber, which is a bit stiffer and shinier than the original rubber parts, but should last longer that the OEM stuff. The centerstand stopper was a bit of a chore to get installed, mostly due to a difficult access angle. The new passenger peg rubbers now allow the right side peg to stand up and away from the kickstarter arm, when starting the bike standing alongside it, instead of atop the bike.

Ohiocycle supplied a repair kit for the floppy horn bushings and the surrounding rubber cushion on the headlight shell. The floppy horn had worn grooves into the small metal bushing sleeves as well as elongating the holes in the headlight shell, once the rubber bushings had been severed due to vibration and age.

A new set of OEM Nippon Denso points was rounded up from a Honda dealer who had some old stock parts available for sale on-line. Comparing the N-D branded ones with the aftermarket Daiichi copies shows how far apart they are in design. My findings will be addressed in a separate story soon regarding poorly made aftermarket parts.

Ed Moore was my Scrambler savior when it came to supplying a replacement Type 2 ignition coil, along with some rear signal brackets which were badly needed. The coil was in great shape and dropped right in with no further concerns. The new ignition points were mounted up, although one of the backing plate screw holes is stripped out. The remaining screw keeps the points planted pretty well and will work until a new replacement point plate comes in from an eBay seller.

After spending a couple of hours installing all the new bits and pieces, plus rebuilding the leaking petcock, the bike was ready to fire up again. It sounded great and I checked the breather tube for signs of excess pressure and couldn’t detect anything unusual just a little pressure/vacuum pulse back and forth. The bike went down the road, shifting through the gears as it headed down my test road hill. On the way back, with the throttle opened up the bike started to break-up/misfire beyond half-throttle. A quick pull up on the choke lever seemed to pick it up a little bit, so it appeared to be running lean. The stock main jet sizes are #115 for both Type 1 and Type 2 carburetors so I dug into a stash of jets and turned up a set of #120s to try out. The difference was remarkable, just like when I re-jetted my 1961 CB77 from the stock #135 jets to #140s. The throttle response was improved and the bike didn’t hesitate and spit back on full-throttle applications.

So, at this point it is a success that has come to an end. The bike is posted on Craigslist and eBay auctions, where it can find a new home with an appreciative Scrambler owner. It is always (usually) a treat to discover a model that you haven’t seen or worked on before, just to gain more knowledge and insight into the workings of Honda engineer’s minds back then, when they were trying out variations on a theme, including these unusual Type 2 250cc Scramblers.

Bill “MrHonda” Silver

Report this ad