Parties run rampant in Chicago for Cinco de Mayo, the traditional day to celebrate the short-lived but miraculous 1862 victory of Mexico over French invaders. It is not the celebration date for Mexican Independence which is September 16, actually a much more important date in Mexico.
But hey, this is Chicago. And here, just like on St. Paddy's Day, people of all nationalities celebrate Cinco de Mayo because it's a great excuse to get happy and indulge in delicious Mexican food and drink. So herewith a few more places to get your party on this weekend and/or on Monday the 5th. There's even a special spa treatment to help you recover in case you overdo it.
Commonwealth, 2000 W Roscoe St. Monday, May 5, specials pre-Sox-Cubs-game and for Cinco de Mayo – $3 Corona, Corona Light, and $5 Pacífico.
Kanela Lakeview, 3231 N. Clark St. Sunday, May 4 and Monday, May 5, $11 Huevos Rancheros with jalapeno pepper, potatoes, salsa verde and two fried eggs.
Kanela Old Town, 1552 N. Wells St. Sunday, May 4 and Monday, May 5 $11 Chorizo Benedict with chipotle hollandaise.
IVme Hydration Clinic, 1437 N. Wells St. Cinco de Mayo Recovery, Friday, May 2 to Tuesday, May 6. Dehydration hangover recovery Package: $139/$119 (if no Oxygen). Same package they offer for folks with exhaustion or cold or flu symptions. Fluids via IV. Call for an appointment 312.350.1822.
Pioneer Tavern Group, Friday, May 2 beginning at 7 p.m. Free Dos de Mayo trolley between Frontier, Lottie's Pub and The Pony. Free trolleys Every 30 minutes until 1 a.m. Onboard drink Dos Equis beer. Specials include $5 tequila, Dos Equis specials and more. Sign up at Lottie's and The Pony or by emailing your name to email@example.com.
- Frontier, 1072 N. Milwaukee - Authentic Mexican street food including $3 Tacos and $3 Elotes, $6 Don Julio, $5 Michelados, $4 Dos Equis
- Lottie's Pub, 1925 W Cortland - $3.50 Dos Equis, $5 Milagro Tequila, $5 Milagro Paloma Cocktails, $6 Dos-aritas, $6 Traditional Tacos.
- *Friday, May 2 only - Margarita Station, Meet and greet with Milagro ambassador, Complimentary Milagro Select Barrel Reserve brand sampling
- The Pony, 1638 W. Belmont - $3 Dos Equis, $5 Milagro Tequila, $5 Milagro Paloma Cocktails, $6 Traditional Tacos
- *Friday, May 2 only - Free Milagro brand sampling starts at 8 p.m., Live music at 8 p.m. from the MP3 Amigos as well as a Best Mustache and Sombrero contest
Takito Kitchen, 2013 W. Division St. Friday, May 2 to Monday, May 5, Specialty dishes like $13 Lamb Barbacoa Cemita and $16 Coctel de Mariscos. Saturday and Sunday May 3-4 – happy hour $12 two tacos and a margarita. Monday May 5 – Live mariachi band all day.
Tuscany on Taylor, 1014 W. Taylor St. Monday May 5, $5 Margaritas and $5 pizzas – Margherita, Speck, Salamino, Funghi E Taleggio, Salsiccia, Quattro Formaggio, Verdura