Effective May 23, 2014, it was affectionately called "Moose's" and had been operating for just over 31 years. Known as a sports bar and late night entertainment venue, Moose's was also known for a good, hearty breakfast and a large number of HD television sets carrying the latest sports events.
"It was just good, decent, bar-food with a lively crowd of locals and tourists," said local patron Skip Scott. "It was the best place to watch sporting events, and many of us will miss it when football season starts soon."
Moose's has been a popular hang-out for many on the west side of Maui, with daily drink specials and a solid menu with hot wings, burgers, salads, and nightly dinner specials. Tourists often went there to try Hawaiian drinks like a Lava Flow, Mai Tai, and Blue Hawaii drink.
"Moose's was the place for bachelor and bachelorette parties," said Elizabeth Boney. It was also the only place on the west side to hear live music late at night. It will be missed."
There's several restaurants nearby to pick-up the slack with the closure of Moose's. Both Koa's Seaside Grill and Kimo's Restaurant are directly across the street from Moose's, and the Hard Rock Cafe is just a two-minute walk along Front Street.
Just north of Moose's is Longhi's Restaurant, one of Maui's best and most well-known Italian restaurants. Also just a few minutes away is the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, part of a chain from the Mainland USA.
- If you're looking for a good burger on Front Street in Lahaina, go to Cool Cat Cafe. It's just a few blocks south of Moose's and is across the street from the Banyan Tree.
- Another good place to watch sports and have a burger and beer is Captain Jack's. It's across from the Banyan Tree on Front Street.
- While walking Front Street in Lahaina Town, stop for a shave ice at Ululani's Shave Ice.
- Try Hawaii's best fudge and salt water taffy store at Hawaii Fudge Company. It might be the best you ever have!
- Lahaina Pizza Company offers one of Maui's best pizzas and is also a short walk from the Moose's location.
Hawaii Travel & Delicious Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian islands of Oahu, Maui, and The Big Island are the most visited Hawaiian islands, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the "gateway" to Southeast Asia and Bangkok, Thailand is one of the most visited cities in the world.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama's Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It's one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman's Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It's one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento's On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali' imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy's in Ka'anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui's Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe'o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A "must-see" beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui's top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii's largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui's Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob's or Boss Frog's.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There's nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve's Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle's magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS - Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui's Best Luau!
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.