Effective May 23, 2014, it was affectionately called "Moose's" and had been operating for just over 31 years. Known as a sports bar and late night entertainment venue, Moose's was also known for a good, hearty breakfast and a large number of HD television sets carrying the latest sports events.
"It was just good, decent, bar-food with a lively crowd of locals and tourists," said local patron Skip Scott. "It was the best place to watch sporting events, and many of us will miss it when football season starts soon."
Moose's has been a popular hang-out for many on the west side of Maui, with daily drink specials and a solid menu with hot wings, burgers, salads, and nightly dinner specials. Tourists often went there to try Hawaiian drinks like a Lava Flow, Mai Tai, and Blue Hawaii drink.
"Moose's was the place for bachelor and bachelorette parties," said Elizabeth Boney. It was also the only place on the west side to hear live music late at night. It will be missed."
There's several restaurants nearby to pick-up the slack with the closure of Moose's. Both Koa's Seaside Grill and Kimo's Restaurant are directly across the street from Moose's, and the Hard Rock Cafe is just a two-minute walk along Front Street.
Just north of Moose's is Longhi's Restaurant, one of Maui's best and most well-known Italian restaurants. Also just a few minutes away is the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, part of a chain from the Mainland USA.
- If you're looking for a good burger on Front Street in Lahaina, go to Cool Cat Cafe. It's just a few blocks south of Moose's and is across the street from the Banyan Tree.
- Another good place to watch sports and have a burger and beer is Captain Jack's. It's across from the Banyan Tree on Front Street.
- While walking Front Street in Lahaina Town, stop for a shave ice at Ululani's Shave Ice.
- Try Hawaii's best fudge and salt water taffy store at Hawaii Fudge Company. It might be the best you ever have!
- Lahaina Pizza Company offers one of Maui's best pizzas and is also a short walk from the Moose's location.