The saying goes, 'April showers bring May flowers'. The area has certainly had it's fill of rain, but there's a lot more in store in May than flowers. Fly fishing really opens up in May but so do fly fishing events. Here's a run-down on what's to come:
- Month of May: Trout stocking. May is a transitional month for stocking. Most area creeks and streams will get infusions of 1 year old browns (8"+) and some will get smaller numbers of 2 year olds (12"+).
- May 3 - 4: Catskill Fly Casting Rendezvous (IFFF Wild Trout Fly Rodders). This event is being held at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum in Livingston Manor, NY. Fly casting and fly tying instruction will be given for a $10 fee or $20 for both.
- May 3 - 4: A&G Outfitter's Coaltown Throwdown. This is the second annual fly fishing tournament in the Scranton area. It features a bevy of fly fishing experts competing on local waters. This is a full weekend event, but volunteers are needed, from controllers who monitor each angler to general volunteers who help run the event. Volunteers get free lunch both Saturday and Sunday, giveaway prizes, and a chance to watch professionals ply their trade. Contact the fly shop if interested.
- May 5: Twin Tiers Five Rivers IFFF Meeting. Speaker will be Aaron Jasper, presenting "Successful Fly Fishing". A fly tying demo starts at 6 pm - the presentation starts at 7 pm. Location for the event is the Big Flats Community Center on Maple Street in Big Flats, NY.
- May 10: A&G Outfitters Dry Fly Seminar. Details to be announced. Event starts at noon at the shop.
- May 15: Kid's Fishing Day. This event has a long-standing tradition - 15 years worth - and is the work of none other than Kurtis 'Mayfly' Nelson. The event is all about kids, 16 and under, and has a very nominal $2 per person charge. For that $2, kids will get fly fishing instruction, fly casting instruction, and fly tying instruction, as well as a free lunch and all sort of raffle prizes. Beautiful Chenango Valley State Park is the place - and the lake is stocked with hungry trout. Call 648-5251 to register.
- May 16 - 18: A&G Outfitters Shad Trip. This event will be held on the Delaware River by reservation only. For $350, stay at the Roebling Inn in Lackawaxen and fish the river for 'baby tarpon'. Meals included. Contact the shop to reserve a spot.
- May 20: Al Hazzard TU monthly chapter meeting. Speaker to be announced!
- May 22: BC Flyfishers monthly chapter meeting. Speaker and agenda to be announced.