June is a transition month for fly fishermen. Gone, is the cold, and also gone is the spring thaw. Snow is definitely a thing of the past and the hills of our beautiful Southern Tier are bleeding green, so green as a friend from Texas once said, "that it hurts your eyes". Flows are calming down, stocking of trout is coming to an end, and the warmwater rivers are becoming very fishable. Ponds and lakes are alive with activity. Largemouth bass and panfish are looking up. And spring spawning for most species is winding down.
June is also a month where summer vacations begin. As a result, many fly fishing activities taper off, though some fly fishing organizations like the Twin Tiers, Five Rivers and BC Flyfishers chapters of IFFF will continue to hold on-the-water events.
Following is a summary of local fly fishing events for June:
- Every Wednesday @ 6 pm in June: Fly Fishing 101 at A&G Outfitters in Dickson City, PA (north of Scranton). This free intro to fly fishing will be held at the fly shop and is a great way to get introduced into fly fishing. Contact the shop for more information.
- June 7 (Saturday) 9am to 4 pm: Badger Creek Fly Tying Annual Open House. Come out and cast rods, check out the latest gear, shop for fly tying materials and load up on flies. Hardy/Greys will be showing the latest rods, reels and gear. Guest fly tyers include: Joe Cambridge and Josh Filter. Carol Farkus & Joe Cambridge will be on hand for free casting tune ups and lessons. Free drawing for many door prizes.
- June 7 (Saturday) in Poland, NY: West Canada Creek Trout Power Tournament and Creel Study Sign Up – sign up on line at http://www.troutpower.blogspot.com/.
- June 7 (Saturday) 10 am to ???: 3rd Annual Waneta Lake Bass Bonanza, sponsored by the Twin Tiers Fiver Rivers IFFF chapter. This lake is home to a lot of trophy size bass, musky, and other warmwater species. Contact Bob Schaeffler at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- June 11 (Wednesday) 3:00 – 8:00 (kids arrive about 5:00) BDC Kids Fly Fishing: The BDC kids will be fly fishing for Channel Cats and Bass at private pond. Location details on BCflyfishers.org calendar tab.
- June 14th & 15th (Saturday and Sunday) Douglaston Salmon Run at Salmon River – Free fishing day for TU members. This offer is for one day only on the weekend of June 14th and 15th, 2014. Anyone taking them up on the offer only need to present a current active TU membership card and your driver's license as proof to enter and take advantage. The DSR was recently stocked with browns up to 22" so dry fly fishing is a definite possibility.
- June 17 (Tuesday) 7 pm: Al Hazzard TU Chapter Meeting. Speaker to be announced.
- June 21 (Saturday) 8:30 am to 4 pm: Spey Nation - Pineville, NY. Spey Nation offers the unique opportunity for enthusiasts and manufacturers of 2 handed rods to gather in a streamside setting. The Location is the Pineville Boat Launch on the Salmon River in Pineville, NY.
- June 22 (Sunday) Douglaston Salmon Run at Salmon River. DSR free fishing for anyone presenting a Spey Nation attendance voucher.
- June 26 (Thursday): BC Flyfishers 'on the river' chapter meeting. The chapter will meet at the Gentlemen’s Club near Deposit with Joe Goodspeed to hear him speak and demonstrate nymphing on the river. Group fishing will follow the event. See the BC Flyfishers calendar for more information.
There may be more events added to this calendar over time. Please check in for 'the week ahead update', normally published each weekend. Remember to get out and fish. Every day you don't fish is a day you never will. And keep in mind that the more one wets a line, the more one has a chance to make a memory on the water!