Two Montana witnesses at Ronan reported watching a "line of lights that turned into a triangle and then began spinning" and moving away at great speed in different directions about 1:11 a.m. on January 1, 2013, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
UPDATE: One of the witnesses to this event posted a video at YouTube.
The witnesses were driving north through Ronan when the lights were first noticed.
"They were too bright to be planets and too high to be power line reflectors," the reporting witness stated. "That's what I thought they were at first. I wasn't sure what the lights were and pointed them out to my passenger."
One of the lights moved away from the formation.
"Immediately the middle one began to rotate away from that line formation into a triangle. That's when we felt shock because we knew we'd seen something unexplainable."
The witness began to videotape the event, but only after one of the lights had moved away.
"The footage lost the third light as she was trying to turn on my video recorder. In the video you can clearly see the lights rotating at a high speed in relation to each other. They did this quickly and then they split up and one shot off south. One went higher up into the air and the third went into the clouds."
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 2, 2013. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Ronan is a city in Lake County, MT, population 1,871.
Recent triangle UFO coverage includes:
- Dark triangle UFO reported over California beach community
- Closed triangle UFO cases: September 2012 yields 17 reports
- Video: Christmas Day UFO hovers over Pennsylvania town
- Triangle UFO surface appeared 'shimmering' over Georgia town
- Pennsylvania witness says black triangle lacked 'normal lights'
- Kentucky witness says triangle UFO hovered 300 feet above roadway
- Video: Triangle UFO reported low over small Michigan town
- Black triangle UFO approaches witness silently in North Carolina
- UFO 'no joke' for Indiana Mom after second rural encounter
- Michigan couple encounters two low flying V-shaped objects
- Maryland witness describes large, low flying triangle UFO
- Four triangle UFOs over Jacksonville appear to scan ground
- Low flying triangle UFO coverage continues over Nebraska
- 'Huge triangle' UFO reported hovering over Missouri home
Recent Montana UFO coverage includes:
- UFO related? Air Force activity increases around Montana base
- Montana witness describes 'circular object' that made no sound
- New reports describe UFOs near Montana's Malmstrom Air Force Base
- Montana witness says golden diamond object not a meteor
Montana is a current UFO ALERT 5 rating, with a low number of UFO sightings nationally. Montana had 2 reports in December 2012 - the 36th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If Montana MUFON State Director Marie Malzahn investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 1, 2013, Ronan, MT - Line of lights turn into triangle then spin at proportional distance at great speed then separated in different directions. Case 44887.
I was driving north thru the town of Ronan, MT when I noticed a row of three lights. They were too bright to be planets and too high to be power line reflectors (thats what I thought they were at first). I wasnt sure what the lights were and pointed them out to my passenger. Immediately the middle one began to rotate away from that line formation into a triangle. Thats when we felt shock because we knew wed seen something unexplainable. Thats when she started to tape and I could still see two of the lights as I was trying to find a place to park. The footage lost the third light as she was trying to turn on my video recorder. In the video you can clearly see the lights rotating at a high speed in relation to each other. They did this quickly and then then they split up and one shot off south, one went higher up into the air, and the third went into the clouds. I saw the documentary on the Tingley lights later that night, and its the same lights I saw in Ronan, same shape, except what I saw was moving faster.
I couldnt upload the original video yet; here is a link to the Facebook page where the video was uploaded to:
[Link moved to FI Section/cms/tg]