A Monster Beverage lawsuit has been filed by the family of a 14-year-old girl from Maryland after she died from what they are calling "caffeine toxicity." On March 5, Mail Online reported that beverage company is fighting back, claiming that there is no hard evidence (via a blood test) that proves that the young girl died in direct correlation with their product.
"A lawsuit filed last year by the family of Anais Fournier said the girl went into cardiac arrest after drinking two, 24-ounce cans of Monster drinks in a 24-hour period," Mail Online reported. If Fournier's death was indeed caused by the drinks, she wouldn't be the first person to die after consumption, this according to the FDA.
The Monster Beverage lawsuit could take months to sort out. Fournier's cause of death has been listed as a "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity complicating mitral valve regurgitation in the setting of Ehler's-Danlos syndrome." Ehler's-Danlos syndrome is a heart condition, and given that it was preexisting, the family may not have a case at all.
"In an interview, Monster's lawyer Daniel Callahan said the company hired a team of physicians to review the medical records in the case, which he said suggest Anais Fournier died of natural causes brought on by her preexisting heart conditions," Mail Online reports.
This isn't the first Monster Beverage lawsuit, and it certainly won't be the last. Do you think Fournier's family has a case? Do these deaths deter you from drinking Monster drinks?
© Effie Orfanides 2013