This week marks Money Smart Week, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago's annual event focused on how to spend, save and borrow money wisely. With more than 500 free educational classes, seminars and activities, Chicago small business owners can get advice from experts on everything from writing a business plan to setting up a retirement plan.
Small business-related event highlights:
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
- Entrepreneurship: The Reality of Going Into Business for Yourself, sponsored by the Glenview Public Library and SCORE. SCORE counselor Mark Lieberman will cover the basics of small business start-up, including goal setting, strengths analysis and action plans. 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at the Glenview Public Library, 1930 Glenview Road, Glenview. RSVP to Cynthia Miller at (847) 729-7500 or email@example.com prior to event.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
- Choice of Business Entity for Entrepreneurs, sponsored by Northeastern Illinois University College of Business and Management. Learn the advantages and disadvantages of organizing your business as a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or a limited liability company. 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. at Northeastern Illinois University, 5500 N. St. Louis Ave., Chicago.
- How to Start a Business with Very Little Money, a Good Idea and a Plan. What you need to start a business on a dime. You will have a chance to talk about your business idea and what you need to get started. 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. at Women-Eye, 500 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago.
- 5/3 Prime Time: Unlocking Your Business' Potential. Free business workshops offering local trusted advisors who can help you discover ways to grow and sustain your small to mid-sized business. Various 5/3 Bank locations and times.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
- Retirement Plan Options for Small Business, sponsored by Country Financial. Learn about several different business retirement plan options to make it easier for your employees and more affordable for your business. 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. at Hyde Park Bank, 1311 E. 57th St., Chicago.
Friday, April 8, 2011
- How to Start Your Business in Chicago, sponsored by the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP). Learn the process for starting a business, various license types, when inspections are needed and how zoning is important. 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. at City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs, 121 N. LaSalle St., City Hall Room 805, Chicago.
- How to Write a Winning Business Plan in a Tough Economy, sponsored by Illinois SBDC/Duman Microenterprise Center, CitiBank, JVS. Learn how to write a winning business plan that can make your business highly viable even in a tough economy. Noon - 2 p.m. at Citicorp Center, 500 Madison, Chicago.
- Creative Financing for Your Small Business. Jessica Horn, U of I Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies, discusses available sources of business capital, preparing loan proposals and applications. 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Center, 400 S. State Street, Chicago.
For a complete listing of events and contact information, visit the Money Smart Week Chicago website.