The inspiration to brew great beer comes from all sorts of interesting places, and Monday Night Brewing is a perfect example of this. The brewery got its start thanks to a small Bible study group that began homebrewing together as a means of getting to know each other better. Brew days were scheduled on Monday nights, so the name just kind of stuck. The Monday Night crew spent five years creating and tweaking recipes before they decided to found a commercial brewery in 2011. Thanks to a lineup of tasty brews and a slogan of “Weekends are overrated”, Monday Night has quickly created a following in Atlanta and the surrounding areas by proving that good times are there to be had on any day of the week. The folks at the brewery have now decided to expand distribution into Alabama, and they are bringing the following beers with them for the launch:
- Black Tie Series: Bed Head Imperial Coffee IPA – That tousled, frizzy hairstyle isn’t fooling anyone. You woke up, threw on some clothes, and headed out the door. Your coworkers stare at your bed head and snicker. But you embrace it, grinning smugly as you sip on your morning coffee. Unfortunately, we don’t make coffee, we make beer. So we turned to our local coffee roaster, Batdorf & Bronson, to roast us up something special. A limited batch of Tanzania peaberry, an earthy, single estate coffee that is the perfect match for a veritable mound of hops. Coffee isn’t just for breakfast. And beer isn’t just for non-breakfast. Wear that bed head proudly. 8.4% ABV 75 IBUs
- Blind Pirate Double IPA - A surprisingly balanced double IPA. A pirate without the use of his eyes is a bitter man indeed. And this Blind Pirate’s bitterness is only matched by his boldness. He doesn’t care if you enjoy the citrusy, spicy combination of hops on your tongue, the faint herbal notes in your nose, or the exquisite balance of caramel malts looting your senses. The Blind Pirate is a bold, bitter ale not for the weak in spirit. Just don’t ask him if you can borrow his sight glass. He gets offended. 8.2% ABV 85 IBUs
- Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale - A roasty scotch ale with a hint of smoke. Full-bodied, but not overpowering. Smokey, but not in a creepy bar kind of way. Sweet, but not obnoxiously so. Sound like your ideal mother-in-law? Fair enough, but it also is a pretty dead-on description of our Scotch Ale. In a difficult hop-growing climate, Scottish brewers relied on other ingredients to impart flavor and bitterness – one such ingredient was smoked malt. Drafty Kilt is a dark, malty bombshell of a beer. Bronze medal winner in Scotch Ale category at 2014 World Beer Cup . 7.2% ABV 26 IBUs
- Eye Patch Ale - A crisp, drinkable IPA. The earthy deliciousness of Cascade and Magnum hops, combined with upfront malt flavor, and balanced with a pirate’s sensibilities. Our Eye Patch Ale is a uniquely drinkable take on the American IPA – sweet caramel, citrusy flowers and swashbuckling adventure abound with every pint. 6.2% ABV 46 IBUs
- Fu Manbrew Belgian-style Wit - A bright, spicy Belgian-style wit. An effervescent, easy-drinking wheat beer, brewed with Belgian yeast, German hops, and a whisper of ginger from the Far East. This mustachio’d Belgian-style wit believes that good beer defies borders. The name Fu Manbrew was crowdsourced with some help from our friends at Scoutmob. They call the mustache a “Flavor Savor” for a reason. 5.2 % ABV 15 IBUs
- Nerd Alert Pseudo Pilsner - Technically speaking, Nerd Alert is an ale. And if you want to get reeealIlly technical, we fermented this beer with ale yeast at low temperatures to achieve an incredibly clean flavor. However, if you bring up this knowledge in normal circles, you will, in fact, be labeled a nerd. So just enjoy the straw-blond appearance (Like the hair of the girl the nerd could never get) and the crisp, safe essence (like the nerd’s comic book room). 5% ABV 22 IBUs
All or an assortment of these beers will be featured at special launch events in Birmingham, Pelham and Auburn beginning on Monday, August 4. I will continue to build a list of these events as information is released, but here is what we have so far:
Monday, August 4
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Hop City Birmingham (2924 Third Ave South, Birmingham): Launch Party with Monday Night reps present. Event will feature all of the beers listed above. Free samples at the event and receive a free pint glass with the purchase of growler of Monday Night brew (while supplies last).
- 6:30 p.m. - World of Beer Five Points (1005 20th St S, Birmingham): Launch Party with Monday Night reps present. Event will feature all of the beers listed above.
Tuesday, August 5
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - The J. Clyde (1312 Cobb Lane, Birmingham): Flight Night and Glassware Giveaway. Special flight for $10 featuring Bed Head, Drafty Kilt, Fu Manbrew, and Nerd Alert. All who order the flight will receive a piece of Monday Night Brewing branded glassware to take home (while supplies last). Monday Night and International Wine and Craft Beer reps will be present with additional schwag giveaways throughout the event.
- 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Jack Brown's Beer & Burger Joint (2811 7th Ave S, Birmingham): Pint Night and Launch Party with Monday Night reps present. Enjoy an assortment of Monday Night brews and get a branded pint glass to take home (while supplies last).
- 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Whole Foods Mountain Brook (3100 Cahaba Village Plaza, Birmingham): More info to come.
- 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. - Pale Eddie's Pour House (2308 2nd Ave N, Birmingham): More info to come.
Wednesday, August 6
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Paramount Bar (200 20th St N, Birmingham): More info to come.
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Dave's Pub (1128 20th Street South, Birmingham): More info to come.
- 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. (pre-concert) - Iron City (513 22nd Street South, Birmingham): More info to come.
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Pleasure is All Wine (2152-A Pelham Parkway, Pelham): Launch Party featuring a sampling of Monday Night beers, a special on Bed Head Imperial Coffee IPA, and free brewery schwag.
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Shelby's (9340 Helena Road Suite I, Pelham): More info to come.
Thursday, August 7
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Wake Up Coffee Co. (131 S College St, Auburn): More info to come.
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Fink's Craft Bar & Grill (230 N Gay St, Auburn): Monday Night Tap Takeover.
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Mellow Mushroom Auburn (128 N College St, Auburn): More info to come.
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Beef 'O' Brady's Auburn (1849 Ogletree Rd Suite 400, Auburn): More info to come.
- 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. - The Hound (124 Tichenor Avenue, Auburn): Launch Party featuring four Monday Night brews on tap.
Make sure to give Monday Night Brewing a proper welcome to Alabama by attending one (or many) of these events and check back here for any updates on additional events. Prost!