Skip to main content

See also:

Monday morning accident on Volusia I-4 claims Deland resident

Dump truck on the side of westbound I-4 in Volusia County, April 28, 2014.
Dump truck on the side of westbound I-4 in Volusia County, April 28, 2014.
Debra Royer

A Deland resident was killed in a four-vehicle accident early Monday morning on Interstate 4 in Volusia County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. FHP spokesperson Sgt. Kim Montes says 32-year old Logan Cool was pronounced dead at the scene by the Volusia County Medical Examiner. The FHP says Cool had been wearing a seat belt in the crash that happened at the 105 mile marker, and closed the interstate for hours Monday morning.

Florida Highway Patrol at dump truck accident on I-4, April 28, 2014.
Debra Royer

Troopers say the crash happened around 6:50 Monday morning when an empty dump truck eastbound in the center lane of I-4 encountered a front tire separation. The FHP says the driver steered left and the truck “…traveled through the center guardrail and sideswiped [a westbound pickup truck].” The driver of a passenger car then tried to avoid the truck and lost control of the car, striking the guardrail. Troopers say the dump truck then hit the left side of the passenger car Cool was driving alone. The dump truck ended up on the side of the westbound interstate. No one was injured in the pickup truck, and four people in the passenger car suffered minor injuries. The dump truck driver, a 51-year old man from Kissimmee, was treated for minor injuries and had been wearing his seat belt.

Fire-rescue units with the Volusia County Fire Services, DeBary Fire Rescue, the Orange City Fire Department, EVAC ambulance and the Seminole County Fire Department responded to the scene along with deputies with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Highway Patrol troopers, partly according to a tweet from @volusiafire. There were initial unconfirmed reports that fuel from the truck had also leaked off the westbound side of I-4 after the accident.

This writer was about two miles behind the accident scene when traffic started slowing and stopping along westbound I-4 Monday morning around 7. Numerous first-responders started arriving on the scene, and the morning commute came to a stop for around an hour. Traffic started moving again around 8 a.m. and took about another hour to pass the accident scene. The FHP says the accident remains under investigation.

Click here to visit the Florida Highway Patrol website.

You can contact this writer at