Modern Home Tours is making back to back stops in Seattle and Vancouver BC to kick off its 2013 Fall Tour. The second annual Seattle Modern Home Tour is Saturday, September 7, while the Vancouver Modern Home Tour makes its debut on Saturday, September 14. Austin, Texas based Modern Home Tours is somewhat smitten with the Pacific Northwest. "It has some of the finest examples of residential modern architecture," said Modern Home Tours co-founder James Leasure. "Between the eco-friendly consciousness, plethora of natural resources and amazing landscapes, the entire region has become a hot spot for architects to experiment with some truly inspiring modern ideas and concepts." Six homes are on each city tour.
Seattle Area - Saturday, September 7, 2013
- Dorsey Residence | Coates Design Architects | Bainbridge Island | Unique concrete 'box' exterior, wide open interior.
- Ellis Residence | Coates Design Architects | Bainbridge Island | LEED Platinum certified, a model and educational tool for sustainable residential projects.
- Lake Union Loft | Goodspeed Architecture | Condo built in 2008 and renovated in 2010, highlighted by use of natural materials.
- Green Lake Residence | Coates Design Architects | Impressive in both its modern design and size (4,000 sq. ft.).
- Lake Sammamish Residence | Schemata Workshop Inc. | Mid-century classic redesigned in 2011 with wide use of glass providing natural light and scenic vistas.
- Reed Home | Schemata Workshop Inc. | Hilltop Community house near Bellevue built in 1957 by Wendell Lovett and recently updated and redesigned, with views of Lake Washington and downtown Bellevue.
Vancouver BC - Saturday, September 14, 2013
- Yaletown Condo | Falken Reynolds Interiors | Early 20th century condo building renovated and updated in 2010, transformed into the "bachelor pad of every man's dreams."
- New Residence | Environmental Design Group | Modest sized home built in 2012 with interiors by Project 22 Design Inc. Makes use of connected open spaces.
- Narrow Passive House | One SEED Architecture + Interiors | Eco-conscious house that uses materials and systems that are both durable and tread lightly on the environment.
- Geometric House | One SEED Architecture + Interiors | The 2011 house is consider a fine example of a true West Coast modern house with clean lines, open concept, natural materials and inside-outside flow.
- West Vancouver Residence | FNDA Architecture Inc. | 1960s wood post and beam house updated in 2011 with a new floor plans and energy efficient living.
- Arbutus Ridge Residence | Campos Leckie Studio | Modernist prototype home for Vancouver's RS-1 zoning district that rethinks the typical zoning regulations and constraints of building in an urban context.
Homes will be open from 11-5, and homeowners and architects will be on site. Tickets for each city are $30 in advance, available online ($40 day of tour). A special $40 ticket is good to tour homes in both Seattle and Vancouver BC. Local non-profits will help staff the events, with the organizations receiving a donation from the proceeds, which include the Seattle Architecture Foundation and Aunt Leah's Place in Vancouver BC. For more information and tickets, visit Seattle Modern Home Tour and Vancouver Modern Home Tour.