On the eve of Saturday's MLS kickoff to the 2013 season, here are my predictions as to how the League table will play out and who will likely be each team’s most important player.
There are few surprises here, but in the Eastern Conference it’s possible that Montreal Impact could come out of the gate with a bang and turn a few heads under new Swedish head coach Marco Schällibaum. In their expansion 2012 season, the Impact played attacking soccer all year and more of the same can be expected in 2013.
In the Western Conference, Seattle Sounders look motivated to make 2013 their year. The Sounders have fielded a strong and exciting team ever since their launch in 2009. The team leadership knows how to get the job done and are supported by the strongest MLS fan base in the United States.
MLS preseason rankings and likely team MVP
1. Sporting Kansas City: MVP Graham Zusi
2. New York Red Bulls: MVP Thierry Henry
3. D.C. United: MVP Dwayne De Rosario
4. Montreal Impact: MVP Patrice Bernier
5. Houston Dynamo: MVP Brad Davis
6. Chicago Fire: MVP Chris Rolfe
7. Columbus Crew: MVP Federico Higuain
8. New England Revolution: MVP Lee Nguyen
9. Philadelphia Union: MVP Sebastien Le Toux
10. Toronto FC: MVP Danny Koevermans
1. Seattle Sounders: MVP Mauro Rosales
2. San Jose Earthquakes: MVP Chris Wondolowski
3. Real Salt Lake: MVP Alvaro Saborio
4. LA Galaxy: MVP Robbie Keane
5. Vancouver Whitecaps: MVP Darren Mattocks
6. FC Dallas: MVP Kenny Cooper
7. Portland Timbers: MVP Diego Valeri
8. Colorado Rapids: MVP Edson Buddle
9. Chivas USA: MVP Juan Agudelo