Brett Fletcher makes a good point early in our conversation while he sets up the canopy for a recent Fit Day at The Marshes Golf Club.
“Does anyone buy shoes without trying them on?” asks the Mizuno rep, who is also putting Ogio golf bags and Clicgear golf carts on display. “I just don’t get those guys who buy their clubs off the rack without getting them fit for their swings or handicap first.”
Fletcher then turns to his fit cart that is jammed with shafts and club heads designed for players and their numerous swing styles and includes the company’s Shaft Optimizer at the Kanata course’s Golf Academy and Learning Centre.
The Shaft Optimizer, after just a few swings, tunes up the player with the proper shaft once the data is analyzed by the device’s software that tracks critical aspects of the player’s shots.
Here’s what goes on record:
- Club Head Speed - How fast the club head and shaft are moving during your swing.
- Tempo - How quickly the player transitions from the backswing to the downswing.
- Shaft Toe Down - Measures how far the shaft bends in a downward direction during the downswing.
- Shaft Kick Angle - Measures how far the shaft bends forward during the downswing.
- Release Factor - How and when the club head and shaft are released during the downswing
Meanwhile, Fletcher said Mizuno has spread its wings to include a new line of clubs for the high handicapper.
“We released the JPX-EZ complete line of irons this year,” he said. “It’s a new area for the company and more forgiving in that it features perimeter weighting and a thinner face producing a more explosive ball flight.”
For the pushcart crowd, Fletcher had on-hand the Canadian-designed three- and four-wheel carts from Clicgear. They run from $229 for the three-wheeler to $299 for the four-wheeler.
And from Ogio, the Agence Multisports representative displayed the Chamber Golf Bag with Silencer technology that locks each club in place to eliminate the clicks, clangs and scuffing that can happen in traditional bags.
For more details and Mizuno fit day dates, e-mail Fletcher at email@example.com.