Reheasals for the upcoming MCT production of Spamalot have finally moved out of the rehearsal space upstairs to the main stage. Our first night downstairs was October 18, and we had our first opportunity to work with some of the set pieces, incorporating them into the preliminary blocking we had just completed.
It was a unique experience to be able to rehearse this early in the process on the very stage we would later present Spamalot. Having the set pieces available, although many were not completed, put some reality into our rehearsals.
The following day we had our first "work party." This is what separates community theater from "professional" theater. Working together to build sets, paint sets and props and hang the flys (the pieces of the set that come down from the ceiling during the show) gave the cast the chance to work with and get to know each other in a more casual setting than rehearsal. During the work party, I learned how to hang the clouds from the fly rods, painted props that would be used by Arthur's nights, as well as a couple of set pieces. It was one of my favorite days of the rehearsal process so far.
This past week, director Michael McGill concentrated more on running lines, working difficult scenes, and teaching us the blocking for the Finale It was amazing to see how all the individual scenes fit together into this hilarious musical comedy.
Our second and final "work party" was yesterday, as we put the finishing touches on costumes, props and set pieces and hung the final items on the flys. I spent most of the day painting prop and set pieces, as well as measuring fabric which will be transformed into a shimmering gold fly. It was another great day of networking with my fellow cast members, and being part of this amazing community of MCT.