The search for missing plane MH370 has seen a significant update this week, based upon a new analysis of the Malaysia Airlines plane’s anticipated flight path. While the mystery surrounding Flight MH370 still remains a mystery hovering over the Indian Ocean, it is believed that the lost aircraft may actually be much further south in the water than previously expected. Yahoo! News reports this Friday, June 20, 2014, that search officials will also be utilizing an underwater probe that will resume again in the early fall months.
In what is undoubtedly one of the greatest aviation mysteries of our time, the tragic loss of the missing plane — Flight MH370 — is confounding experts both the public and flying experts alike. The expansive search is now looking south, however. Based on a new analysis of the Malaysia Airlines’ potential flight path, it is thought that an area literally hundreds of miles south of the first prospective crash site might yield something. So far, the extensive investigation in the Indian Ocean has yielded very little.
Now, shares the report update, the hunt is back on with renewed vigor; however, the new search zone will be taking place approximately 1,800 kilometers west of Perth. This area was first considered as a possible crash site of the Malaysia Airlines craft back in March 2014, but was overlooked relatively quickly. According to the press release, this latest hunt will be supported by an underwater probe sometime in August.
The only downfall to this hypothesis as to whereabouts of missing plane may be is that it is based primarily on conjecture. Because little data or fresh flight information is available, officials are now hoping that a new look at Flight MH370’s path might give us some answers.
“All the trends of this analysis will move the search area south of where it was. Just how much south is something that we’re still working on,” said Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. “There was a very complex analysis and there were several different ways of looking at it. Specialists have used several different methodologies and bringing all of that work together to get a consensus view is what we’re finalising at the moment,” he said.
According to the Indiana Express, the Joint Agency Coordination Center will be making a public statement before the end of June relating more of this update. A six-week’s worth of analysis will result in a search zone shift to the south and west of current investigation areas. The location is still considered to be in the seventh arc, which was coined by a satellite’s final signal contact with the missing plane, though it is a significant distance away and much further south.
Various reconnaissance aircraft were used to survey the area that is under scrutiny in the new Flight MH370 search, but less has been done using underwater vessels. It is hopeful that the use of the probe may yield greater results. The undersea hunt was temporarily diverted to northern areas following a series of electronic “pings” that garnered serious public attention, but these “signals” unfortunately only turned out to be a false alarm.
Several witnesses have come forward saying that they believe they may have seen the missing Boeing 777 during its fatal fall from the sky. One woman, a traveler from the UK, claimed that she saw what may have been the plane in flames one night over the Indian Ocean before the flight's eventual crash. Her statement with police can be found here.
“The Beijing-bound Boeing 777-200 – carrying 239 people, including five Indians, an Indo-Canadian and 154 Chinese nationals – mysteriously vanished on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.”