The missing Michigan baby, known as Baby Kate in the media, is believed dead, but her body was never found. The father of Baby Kate has been charged with killing his daughter, bringing this missing baby case one step closer to justice, said Attorney General Bill Schuette when announcing charges against the father, according to The Washington Post on Oct. 4.
Sean Phillips was arrested for the murder of his four-and-a-half-month-old daughter after new evidence has come to light in this case. Schuette would not divulge any information about the direction he is going in with the new evidence or what exactly this was, all he would say is that this case “is closer to securing justice for Baby Kate.”
Evidence found when Phillips was first picked up hours after the disappearance of Baby Kate included seeds. The seeds may lead investigators to an area where Baby Kate's body is buried.
Phillips arraignment took place Friday via videoconference with Magistrate Patricia Baker. He asked for a court appointed attorney and she said one would be appointed to him.
Phillips, 23, was convicted last year for the unlawful imprisonment in the disappearance of Baby Kate. He took the baby from his mother’s home. Prosecutors said Phillips took the baby from the mother’s home because he feared a paternity test would be court-ordered to show he was the father. He is sitting in prison today doing his 10 to 15 year sentence, but he is appealing this case.
Just hours after Baby Kate was reported missing by her mother, Phillips was found with her car seat and diaper bag in the trunk and her “balled-up clothes in his pocket. Material, such as seeds taken from Phillips person and car may lead investigators to the place her body is buried.






