A missing Michigan baby is presumed dead and her father has now been charged with her murder. On Oct. 5, the Christian Science Monitor reported that "Baby Kate" has been missing for two years now and her father, Sean Phillips, has been formally charged after police say they found new evidence supporting the case against him.
"New evidence has been discovered which supports a murder charge in this case," said Attorney General Bill Schuette. Just last year the 23-year-old father of Katherine Phillips was convicted of unlawful imprisonment in her disappearance. He took the child away from her mother because he feared that he would have been proven the father in a paternity test. It's for this reason that many believe he murdered the baby.
The missing Michigan baby still has not been found but evidence such as her diaper bag and "balled up clothing" was found either on Sean Phillips or in his car. Other evidence including something on Sean's shoes could lead police to the baby's body -- and could lead a jury to a conviction. Details about this new evidence, however, have not been revealed to the public.
"This continuing investigation has included review of biological evidence, site visits, and the enlistment of experts from all over the world who are preeminent in their fields," said Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola.
The missing Michigan baby murder charge is what's called an "open charge" which means a jury can convict Sean Phillips of either first or second degree murder if he is found guilty. The family of "Baby Kate" hopes that her body is recovered so that they may bury her and finally have some closure.
© Effie Orfanides 2013