It’s only February and Columbus craft beer drinkers have already been able to experience the best of the best through two microbrew festivals – Columbus Winter Beer Fest and AleFest Columbus. However, if you missed both of these events, relax. Just fill up your gas tank, book a hotel room and travel a bit west of our great city to check out this upcoming craft beer festival!
Blues, Brews & More: A Mardi Gras Celebration will take place on Saturday, February 9th from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Temple Beth Or in Dayton, Ohio. This is a unique festival in that half of your ticket price is tax deductible and benefits The Human Race Theatre Company. For $100 (or $1,000 for a reservation of 8), attendees will be enjoy music by Dave Greer’s Classic Jazz Stompers, as well as catered food from El Meson and Bernstein’s Fine Catering.
There will also be a silent auction along with games and prizes, according to the website. However, craft beer will be the main event and attendees will certainly have a chance to sample some of the finest microbrews this country has to offer, including:
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc. – Winter White Ale
- Ballast Point Brewing Company – Sculpin IPA
- New Holland Brewing Company – Cabin Fever Brown Ale
- Founders Brewing Company – Russian Imperial Stout
- Ace – Pear Cider
- Omission Beer – Gluten Free Pale Ale
- Anchor Brewing Company – Brekle’s Brown Ale
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Company – Narwhal Russian Imperial Stout
- O’Fallon Brewing Company – Wheach Peach Wheat Ale
- 21st Amendment Brewery – Monk’s Blood
- Great Divide Brewing Company – Fresh Hop Pale Ale
- St. Louis – Framboise
- Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen – Oude Gueze Sour
- DogFish Head Brewing Company – Burton Baton-Oak Aged Imperial IPA
- Fat Head Brewing Company – Bubble Berry Honey Blueberry Ale
- Great Lakes Brewing Company – Cask Conditioned Ale YTBA
Blues, Brews & More requires advanced registration and tickets may still be available by contacting Development Director John Faas at (937) 461-3823 ext. 3111 or emailing him at email@example.com.
If Dayton isn't your scene, perhaps check out the Cincy Winter Beerfest! This craft beer collection takes place on February 15th and 16th at the Duke Energy Convention Center. Attendees will be able to enjoy samples from more than 365 craft beers beginning at 7:30 p.m., unless you get a VIP ticket for $46 (regular tickets are $36 in advance, $46 at the door). VIP ticket holders will receive a commemorative sampling glass, early entrance at 6:30 and a chance to access early tappings that may not be available later on in the evening.
If you really want to get crazy, a Connoisseur ticket is availabe for $75 in advance and $95 at the door. You will receive, according to the website, early VIP admission, a special souvenier glass and access to the Connoisseur Reception area. In addition to enjoying your favorite microbrews, you will also be able to sample appetizer bites provided by 14 local chef-driven restaurants that will be paired with "rare/super premium beer."
Although we love to experience craft beer in Columbus first, it won't hurt to venture outside our great city and see how other microbrew maniacs soak up their suds! Enjoy!