Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Minor scrape leads to flesh-eating bacteria, kills man in 5 days

The onset of the flesh-eating bacteria.
The onset of the flesh-eating bacteria.

Travis Lee Moore just wanted a quiet, relaxing day of fishing with his brothers last Sunday. But after a very minor scrape to the back of one of his fingers, the Texan expired within five days due to a massive infection caused by a flesh-eating bacteria, as reported by KHOU television of Houston, Texas on Feb. 28, 2014.

The retired postal worker and former firefighter from the tiny hamlet of Chester, Texas, accompanied his four brothers to Lake Conroe, forty miles north northwest of the greater Houston area, with hopes of possibly hooking a trophy bass.

Instead, Moore got himself a "scrape on the top of his hand, on his finger" as described by his brother, Robert Moore.

Yet within 48 hours, Moore's family was stunned when it suddenly appeared he was suffering from a heart attack.

That's when Robert was rushed his brother to the emergency room of the rural Huntsville Memorial Hospital.

It was there that Travis was diagnosed as not having any cardiac trouble, but instead was suffering from a massive infection from a flesh-eating bacteria.

Moore was then transferred to Houston's larger Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he expired three days later.

With cases of flesh-eating bacteria as rare in Southeastern Texas as it is anywhere else, no explanation of the how or why Moore became infected was reported, other than KHOU quoting a local tour guide at Lake Conroe as stating "anytime you’re with rusty hooks, water, fish, anything can happen. Bacteria, the sky’s the limit."

Report this ad