Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Mini grants for people with Autism

Help is there to get therapy
Help is there to get therapy
Photo by Tom Ervin/Getty Images

When a person has a disability that falls in the Autism spectrum it is difficult to get help for services unless they have another disability to accompany the Autism.
There are no funding stream for therapies and intervention. Health insurances are not likely to pay for certain therapies because they do not see the kind of therapy youth with Autism need as a cure for the disability. Therefore, in Pennsylvania the Bureau of Autism offers mini-grants to individuals.
To qualify an applicant must be:
1. Be a Pennsylvania resident.
2. Have a family member with autism (of any age) or be an individual with autism.*
3. Not be currently receiving any family support services (including Base Funding) for the past 12 months.
* Family members can submit an application on behalf of their family member with autism but cannot apply on behalf of themselves or for family members that do not have autism; the only exception is for respite.
The following supports and activities are eligible for funding if they occur between March and August 2014.
The grant can cover:
• Respite care
• Summer recreation and skill development programs
• Autism or advocacy related conferences, workshops or training opportunities
• Community programs such as karate lessons, swimming lessons, dance classes, art classes, cooking
classes, private driving lessons
• Safety modifications or adaptations for home and/or community integration. For example: door locks,
alarms, fencing or other items to increase or ensure a person’s safety

If you need a copy of the application packet mailed to you, e-mail or call the Mini-Grant Help Line, 717-425-5689. Get the application by clicking here

Report this ad