One of our favorite small bites are mini crab cakes. I have had the recipe for a long time and with the Super Bowl coming up it’s time to dust off the recipe card again. Years ago, I was lucky enough to attend cooking lessons with a Chef who made house calls. The Chef would come to my brother in laws home about once a month with appetizer and dinner ideas. It was fabulous. There in the comfort of a home you could learn tricks of the trade to create a memorable meal. There are other at home cooking classes and I would recommend them highly. The training was for any level. We even brought our daughters who weren’t quite teens yet and they enjoy the evening too. So enjoy this blast from my past and share these scrumptious crab cakes.
• 1 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
• ¼ cup of diced onion finely minced
• 1/4 cup of chopped red or green pepper finely minced
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 16oz can of crabmeat drained.
• 1 tablespoon butter
• In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup bread crumbs, green onions, red
pepper, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder and cayenne;
fold in crab.
• Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Divide mixture into
16 portions; shape into 2-in. balls. Gently coat in bread crumbs
and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty.
• In a large skillet heat butter then drop in patties a few at a time. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until it is a bit crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel.