The 1.5 Redstone Update for "Minecraft" is quite a large and significant update. While it primarily touches on the mechanics of Redstone by adding the new comparator block along with several others, the developers also reworked how the sandbox game handles textures and animations. This is a significant change for those that create and/or use custom textures.
Additionally, Mojang upgraded the lighting with three new settings, added the ability to assign custom names to containers and mobs as well as making mobs even more difficult on the Hard difficulty level.
A new scoreboard system was added as well that will let those that enjoy creating games and adventures in "Minecraft" create an on-screen scoreboard with a little behind the scenes coding.
Mojang also trolled "Minecraft" fans by adding a line in the change log about removing the mythical Herobrine. Despite the character never appearing in the game, the list of changes includes a "Removed" Herobrine line.
"I actually get emails like "WHY WAS HEROBRINE REMOVED!!!!???!"," Mojang customer support manager Marc Watson wrote on Reddit. "I bang my head into a wall, laugh, cry, then have a beer."
You can check out the "Minecraft" 1.5 Redstone Update change log below. Those interested in trying out the pre-release update can download it from Mojang now.
- Added Redstone Comparator (used in Redstone logic)
- Added Hopper (collects items and moves them to containers)
- Added Dropper (similar to Dispensers, but always drops the item)
- Added Activator Rail (activates TNT Minecarts)
- Added Daylight Sensor
- Added Trapped Chest
- Added Weighed Pressure Plate
- Added Block of Redstone
- Added Nether Brick (item)
- Added Nether Quartz and ore
- Added Block of Quartz, with half blocks and chiseled variants
- New command: /scoreboard
- New command: /effect
- Containers and mobs can have custom names
- Inventory management has been changed, for example you can drag-place items over slots
- Texture packs now have separate images for each block and item, and can have animations
- Nether Quartz Ore now spawns in the Nether
- Smooth lighting now has three settings (none, minimal, maximum)
- More detailed death messages
- Some hostile mobs now are harder in Hard difficulty
- Many, many, bug fixes
- Removed Herobrine