Mojang relased another snapshot for the PC version of "Minecraft" on Thursday. This latest preview release to the 1.5 Redstone Update makes two mobs even more difficult to kill while also adding a new Dropper block and changing the way TNT explosions from minecarts work.
When the Redstone Update is officially released, "Minecraft" players can expect to find both skeletons and zombies harder to take down. Skeletons will now shoot arrows at players faster as they approach to melee. On the other shooting one zombie with a bow and arrow will now "aggro" other zombies towards the player in a larger area than before. These two changes will require Survival Mode players to rethink their strategies when dealing with mobs.
The Dispenser gets a companion block now in the form of the Dropper. The Dropper acts just as its name suggests by dropping items out instead of shooting or using items like the Dispenser. This can be used with the new Hopper block plus minecart and chest mechanics.
Other changes include the ability to put a Hopper in a minecart and putting Quartz blocks in different orientations. Texture pack users will no longer have to quit to the main menu to switch textures now too. That can be done in-game.
Finally, as we reported earlier, blowing up TNT carts does not blow up tracks or their supporting blocks as long as the TNT is charged by activator rails.
Here is the changelog list for the "Minecraft" 13w03a snapshot. You can download the snapshot now from Mojang if you wish but it is recommended for experienced players only.
- Improved Quartz blocks
- Pillar Quartz Blocks can now be placed in any orientation - placement works like with wooden logs
- Added Dropper block
- Works like a dispenser, but doesn't throw/use items
- Improved the menu
- Added some new chat options in multiplayer menu: Focused Height, Unfocused Height and Width
- Moved the texture packs button - You can now change texture packs in-game!
- Improved TNT carts
- When blown up using activator rails, they no longer destroy rails and supporting blocks -
- Still blow up redstone stuff
- Made skeletons significantly harder to melee
- They now shoot faster when their target is closer
- Made zombies harder to shoot
- They now group up on targets
- When on fire, they can now set players on fire
- Added a hopper minecart
- Fixed some bugs
- Fixed a certain death message failing to show
- Fixed TNT carts exploding instantly when derailing
- Fixed dying stacked leather armor duplicating the armor
- Fixed water not forming source blocks properly on top of existing source blocks
- Fixed powered rails and activator rails not updating properly on slopes
- Fixed a crash when breaking a jukebox with no record inside
- Fixed the wither visually consuming and transforming some of its needed blocks in Peaceful
- Fixed block breaking progress resetting when the held item changes
- Fixed clicking on items in the inventory being delayed
- Fixed the world generating in stripped parts
- Fixed the daylight sensor emitting power in the nether
- Fixed the game crashing when trying to render certain blocks
- Fixed doubled up TNT Carts causing huge lag
- Fixed the debug file "stitched_items.png" overlaying textures on itself
- Fixed hoppers accessing items of chests that aren't connected
- Fixed melon and pumpkin seed stems using the fully grown texture scaled down to the right size
- Fixed cake using the inside texture on all sides when placed
- Fixed the hopper not updating its power state when placed
- Fixed the hopper still duplicating items
- Fixed the hopper not changing its label in the GUI when renamed
- Fixed being killed by a ghast's fireball showing entity.SmallFireball.name as the thing that did the final blow