Mojang released the 13w04a snapshot for "Minecraft" Thursday that previews some of the upcoming changes that will be in the 1.5 Redstone Update. One of the new features scares away zombies and other mobs while another keeps score.
Minecart tracks will now scare away mobs in "Minecraft" which means you no longer have to worry about a Pig Zombie camping out on your Nether rail system and mucking up contraptions. It's not known if this will act as an "invisible fence" type barrier to put around buildings yet but someone is probably testing that out already.
The Scoreboard is an interesting new feature added to replace the myriad number of custom score tracking contraptions built by the "Minecraft" community. It's not completely finished yet but the Scoreboard can be programmed to track objectives for players to complete such as killing members of an opposing team in a PvP match.
Dispensers received some explosive new functionality as they can now be used to prime and fire TNT. Another useful feature is that it will auto-equip armor.
You can see the complete changelog for the "Minecraft" 13w04a snapshot below and you can download it directly from Mojang. Note that it is recommended that only experienced users install snapshopts as they can corrupt existing worlds.
- Mobs are now scared of minecart tracks
- Added a Scoreboard
- Not 100% done yet
- Tracks scores in PvP games
- Improved double slabs
- 43:8 will now be the "smooth double slab" and will remain so
- Generally: If the top bit is set, the top texture will be used on all sides, also allowing for smooth sandstone blocks (43:9)
- Improved dispensers
- Added more behavior
- They now activate TNT
- Dispensers and droppers can now face all 6 directions
-Fixed some bugs
- Fixed a few block-update related issues
- Fixed some retracted pistons still having an extended arm
- Fixed flowing water still dragging flying players
- Fixed chests appearing open when they are actually closed
- Fixed achievements not surviving updates
- Fixed breeding cows and possibly other animals being able to consume more than one of the item used to breed the animals
- Fixed boats and minecarts dropping when broken in creative mode
- Fixed many armor enchantments not working on mobs
- Fixed certain new redstone output devices overwriting redstone wire signal strength with a lower signal strength
- Fixed the hopper always trying to fill the first slot first, causing it to ignore other items if the first slot can't be filled
- Fixed variable redstone strength causing strange update behavior
- Fixed certain blocks producing the wrong particle effects when ran on/punched/broken
- Fixed certain monostable Circuits only working in a North/South configuration when activated directly using a button
- Fixed doors not mirroring their texture when placed the other way round
- Fixed iron doors not updating properly when removing the redstone block powering them
- Fixed hopper minecarts falling out of the world crashing the game
- Fixed changing the texturepack ingame rendering stuff weirdly
- Fixed hopper minecarts' behavior regarding activator rails being backwards
- Fixed using Pick Block on TNT carts and hopper carts giving normal minecarts
- Fixed dispensers not spawning mobs with their name if the spawn egg has been renamed
- Fixed dispensers not placing hopper minecarts on rails