Skip to main content
Report this ad

Millrats record stands at 2-6

The Manchester Millrats season has gotten off to a slow start.
The Manchester Millrats season has gotten off to a slow start.
Manchester Millrats/PBL

It has been a busy couple of weeks for the Manchester Millrats since the my last post, but this article should fill you in on all that has been going on in the world of the Millrats.

On January 17th the Millrats faced off against the Quebec Kebs at the Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) Fieldhouse, Where they bounced back from a three game skid in a dominatiing win by a score of 121-94. Eric Gilchrese lead all scorers with 26 points.

There next game was on the 24th, and the Millrats couldn't transfer their success from the week before as they fell to the Halifax Rainmen by a score of 107-99. Anthony Anderson led all scorers with 27 points.

Finally, on February 2nd, the Manchester Millrats, who were without their leading scorer and assist-man, Anthony Anderson, as they met up with their rival the Vermont Frost Heaves. Despite the absence of Anderson the Millrats battled hard nonetheless. As the final buzzer sounded, Vermont edged the Millrats, 124-121 in an exciting double overtime basketball game.

Troy Jackson sank two three pointers in the final minute of the second overtime to give Vermont the lead from a 121-118 deficit, to the three point victory.  The Millrats David Cooper attempted a game changing three pointer of his own, as time was winding down, but it wasn't meant to be as it bounced of the rim.

"We didn't pick up Troy early enough in transition on both possessions and he knocked them down, and that really hurt us," explained Millrats Head Coach Heath Teixeira. "You go from trying to hold on for a win to suddenly behind down 3 points with just seconds remaining, and its a challenge for a young team."

The Millrats opened the game sinking their first five shots for an 11-2 advantage, by halftime the score was 57-57. Vermont had built a 10 point lead at the end of the third quarter and extended the lead to as many as 13 in the fourth quarter.  But the Millrats reclaimed the lead by the score of 107-105, with only 29 seconds remaining. Jackson of Vermont scored a layup to tie the game and was fouled. He missed the chance at a three point play with the free throw and neither team coverted in the final seconds, so the game went to the first overtime.

In the first overtime, the Millrats built a 115-110 lead with 1:42 remaining. But again Vermont refused to quit and tied the game at 115-115 all to send the game to a second overtime.  It was in the second overtime where Jackson's heroics propelled Vermont Head Coach Joe Salerno to his first victory in the professional ranks.

Former UNH Wildcat guards Eric Gilchrese and Tyrece Gibbs scored 28 and 19 points respectively for the Millrats.  Dwight Brewington added 23 points, P.J. Young 20, and Julian Allen 19.  Troy Jackson led Vermont with 25. The win was Vermont's first on the season and they improve to 1-4, while the Millrats fall to 2-6. Manchester heads to Rockville, Maryland on Saturday February 6th to visit the Maryland GreenHawks at 7:00PM at Wooten High School, before returning home to host the Lawton Fort-Sill Cavalry on Tuesday night at Hesser College.


Report this ad