Mike Walters of West Milton, a featured seminar speaker at the recent Dayton International Sportsman’s Show as one of the top crappie tournament fishermen in the U.S, offers the following tips to help anglers in their quest for crappies.
1. Crappies feed upward, so fish above the fish.
2. On cloudy days use dark colored jigs, etc. (black/chartreuse, purple/chartreuse, dark green).
3. On sunny days use light colored jigs, etc. white, light pink, light blue.
4. In dark water try dark colored jigs or live bait.
5. Summer and Fall always have minnows with you.
6. If you are fishing with a strike indicator (float or bobber), use a strike indicator just big enough to stay afloat, so you can detect the lightest strikes.
7. If you're not using a strike indicator, watch the line where it enters the water to detect light strikes.