Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 players.... get ready for micro transactions! Well, kind of. As we all know, today featured another title update for Black Ops 2 that housed several gun balance adjustments, changes, fixes to multiplayer as well as some Zombie improvements.
Tomorrow however, we will be getting some interesting new additions that will be a Call of Duty first: paid for additions to the game called "Micro Items!" (Editors note: This is Nick's unrelenting sarcastic enthusiasm) Starting tomorrow, March 13, optional in-game purchases called Micro Items will appear on the menu. This content contains either personal customizations and other features previously held for pre-order customers only. The list will include the following:
- Includes new weapon themes. Each themed pack contains a unique weapon camo, three targeting reticles, and a custom player Calling Card. For those wondering what this could mean? There is a bacon themed weapon pack coming: Yes, you heard that right. Each theme will be 160 MS points.
- Becomes free for all players, pre-order or not (I'm actually fine with this, now put it in normal map rotation!)
- Players will be able to purchase the "Hardened" and "Care Package" edition Zombie level for 400 MS points.
Extra Slots Pack
- Players can now increase the amount of information stored. You can now get 10 more Create-a-Class slots and significantly expand your media storage, allowing you to archive 20 more emblems, 32 more films and 40 more screenshots. Price? You guessed it - 160 MS points.
Flags of the World Calling Card Packs
- National flag-themed Calling Cards from countries around the world. Didn't take long for Treyarch to rip this one from Crysis 3, eh? Oh yeah, 80 MS points, for those that care.
Sarcasm or not, I really can't say any of this is surprising. In the very least, none of these additions effects non-paying customers, so thats good. If anything, it is an indication of the direction all future games will go, as micro-transactions are here to stay as long as their is a customer base to support it. Just be warned, supporting such behavior may one day mean that being a prestige master is directly related to the credit line on your Xbox Live Account.
Let me know what you all think of this by subscribing to me here and following me on twitter @NicholasGigante.