Wrestler Mick Foley has often talked about the inspiration he has found in the music of Tori Amos. His admiration for the singer is the stuff of Tori Amos fan legend. A super-star wrestler who would play her songs before matches in order to focus and drive his art. But, what is perhaps most commonly known about Mick in fan circles is his support of the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN).
In the early 1990s RAINN was co-founded by Tori Amos after Me and a Gun, a song which addressed Tori's experience with sexual violence, resulted in masses of people approaching her to talk about the impact sexual assault has had on their lives. For many Tori was the first to hear about their assault and her music became a pathway to heal.
As Mick's fan status has grown, he has become more vocal of his support in RAINN, even working the RAINN hotline to help survivors. Lately, Mick's support of RAINN has translated into fundraising. It is not uncommon for him to donate proceeds from books sales, events or tickets to support the organization.
His most latest venture goes above and beyond normal fundraising work. Fans of WrestleMania, Mick Foley, or the WWE can enter a raffle to win an all inclusive vacation to Wrestlemania 2014 including Monday Night Raw, the WWE Hall of Fame Induction and any session of WrestleMania Axxess. Additionally, Mick is tossing in a trip to Walt Disney World and a stay at the famous Animal Kingdom Lodge resort. Below are the details of this fantastic giveaway, all of the money raised will go to support RAINN. Enter here to be part of the drawing. Donations to RAINN can be made here. Info on Mick's association with RAINN can be found here. The raffle closes on March 24th so check it out!
The raffle winner will receive:
- Round-trip Airfare for two from any major city in the world to New Orleans and four nights lodging in a 3-4 star hotel, less than a mile from The Superdome
- Great seats to Wrestlemania - right next to Mick Foley's family
- Two tickets to WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony, two tickets to any Axxess session of your choosing and two VIP tickets to Ringside: An Evening With Jim Ross
- Lunch with the Divas hosted by Brie Bella
- Breakfast with Mick Foley
- Two VIP tickets to Ring of Honor, Dragon's Gate and WrestleCon.
- $1,000 spending money
- Round trip limo transportation from/to New Orleans International Airport
- A signed Velvet Sky poster, and a hug from Velvet herself
- A 32x20 original Rob Schamberger piece of artwork of any wrestler of your choice
- A four night stay in a one-bedroom villa at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. (Details on the Lodge can be found here.)
- A four day park hopper pass to Disney World, which allows access to all parks.
- A personal tour of The Magic Kingdom from Superstar/Super Disney Nerd Scotty 2 Hotty
- The knowledge that the $10 entry fees will add up to help many survivors of sexual assault.
Enter here for the raffle.
Adrienne Trier-Bieniek, PhD is the author of Sing us a Song, Piano Woman: Female Fans and the Music of Tori Amos (Scarecrow 2013). She is currently a professor of sociology at Valencia College in Orlando, Florida and studies connections between pop culture and gender. She has been featured on NPR-WGVU, the Orlando Sentinel and can be found at www.adriennetrier-bieniek.com.