Michigan is once again preparing for its second snowstorm in a week along with expected record breaking temperatures that could go as low as 12 to 16 degrees below zero!
That’s all it takes to get us Michiganders into snowstorm preparation mode, the first stop is always to the supermarket, followed by a quick trip to the gas station. Besides making sure you have your wallet, don’t forget your patience and a smile, it really gets crazy out there at times like this, but it also seems to bring out the kindness and the best in most people.
The next couple of steps are just as important as food and gas, but sometimes are overlooked until you need them. Check out the list below to make sure that you are fully prepared to get through a winter storm, courtesy of the Michigan Committee for Severe Weather Awareness.
1. Make sure you keep handy a battery-powered flashlight, extra food (canned or dried food is best), can opener, and bottled water. Also remember to charge all mobile and home telephones.
2. Make sure everyone has a warm coat, hat and gloves, and keep extra blankets available.
3. Don’t forget your pets. Make sure they have enough food and water, and keep them indoors, because animals also feel the effects of wind chill.
4. Be aware of potential fire and carbon monoxide hazards if you plan to use an emergency heating source such as a fireplace, wood stove or space heater.
1. Avoid overexertion when shoveling, pushing a car, or walking in deep snow.
2. Walk carefully on snowy, icy sidewalks.
3. Wear loose-fitting, lightweight warm clothing in layers with a waterproof outer layer, and don't forget your hat and gloves.
4. Most important – understand the hazards of wind chill. As the wind increases, heat is carried away from your body which could lead to severe hypothermia.
Staying safe and healthy is your number one goal during any storm, but don’t forget to have some fun. Take advantage of this time, make it a family game day, stay in your pajamas, drink hot chocolate, and enjoy the beautiful view outside from inside!