No. 6 ranked University of Michigan wrestling defeated cross-state rival Michigan State, 26-6, but its top-ranked heavyweight Adam Coon suffered his first loss of his college career at the hands of Spartan big man Mike McClure at Cliff Keen Arena in Ann Arbor Friday night.
The 6’1”, 260-pound McClure, a senior who is being actively recruited by the WWE, knocked off the 6’5” undefeated freshman sensation, 5-1, to earn one of two wins for Michigan State (the other being Nick McDiarmid in the match immediately preceding, at 197 pounds).
“McClure -- ranked ninth in the latest InterMat poll -- used a late takedown and near fall to hand top-ranked freshman Adam Coon his first collegiate loss,” according to the official Wolverine wrestling website’s recap of the dual. “The match was even at 1-1 until the final 20 seconds when McClure countered a Coon half shot to score on a single on the edge. With Coon battling to escape, McClure crunched him to add a two-point near fall out of the circle.”
McClure improves to 18-4, while Coon is now 23-1 this season.
The back-to-back wins for McDiarmid and McClure tied up the team scores (the dual began with the 174 match), giving hope to the visiting squad… but Michigan won the remainder of bouts, including back-to-back major decision victories from Stephen Dutton III and Eric Grajales at 147 and 157, respectively.
The Division I heavyweight ranks have been in a state of flux lately. Just last weekend, Coon upset two-time defending champ Tony Nelson of Minnesota, 4-2 SV 2, to give the Wolverines the win over the Golden Gophers. (Two weeks ago, Nelson suffered his first loss to the man he defeated in the Big Ten and 2013 NCAA finals, Mike McMullan of Northwestern). In the days since, Coon found himself the top-ranked wrestler at 285, and Big Ten wrestler of the week.
With the win, the Michigan Wolverines are now 8-2 for the season and 4-0 in the Big Ten, while Michigan State falls to 5-7 overall, and 0-4 in Big Ten competition.
- 174: Collin Zeerip (Michigan) dec. Nick Kaczanowski (MSU), 3-2
- 184: Domenic Abounader (Michigan) dec. No. 18 John Rizqallah (MSU), 6-0 TB1
- 197: Nick McDiarmid (MSU) dec. Chris Heald (Michigan), 3-1
- HWT: No. 9 Mike McClure (MSU) dec. No. 1 Adam Coon (Michigan), 5-1
- 125: Conor Youtsey (Michigan) dec. Brenan Lyon (MSU), 5-0
- 133: Rosario Brunon (Michigan) dec. Garth Yenter (MSU), 2-0
- 141: No. 14 Stephen Dutton III (Michigan) maj. dec. Brian Gibbs (MSU), 14-2
- 149: No. 7 Eric Grajales (Michigan) maj. dec. Nick Trimble (MSU), 10-2
- 157: No. 13 Brian Murphy (Michigan) dec. Roger Wildmo (MSU), 4-2
- 165: No. 7 Dan Yates (Michigan) dec. Bobby Nash (MSU), 8-2
The heart of the season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!