Two cases of circovirus in dogs who have died in metro Detroit within the last month have been confirmed on Friday by the Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health at Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine reports ABC Action News.
Both dogs, however had other viruses and bacteria in their bodies.
So far six dogs have died from the yet unnamed disease, although symptoms have been similar to circovirus; a virus previously seen only in pigs. Death can occur within 12 to 24 hours of symptoms which include vomiting, abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, and lethargy.
In September, the American Veterinarian Medical Association presented information in Ohio about the disease. Four dogs have reportedly died after presenting with the same symptoms.
Particularly interesting in Michigan however, is some evidence that owners have become sick and could possibly be passing the disease down to their dogs. No humans have died or even become severely ill, but in one of the later cases the owner confirmed she had a stomach virus and had been ill.
No one knows how the disease is transmitted to dogs, but humans are encouraged to wash their hands thoroughly. If your dog shows any symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at email@example.com.