Michael Douglas has revealed that Marvel Studios will have an "Ant-Man" panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego, and that he will be on the panel, which takes place on July 26, 2014. Douglas has the role of Hank Pym in the movie. In addition, Douglas has confirmed speculation that there will be an "Ant-Man" sequel. On July 8, 2014, I was part of a roundtable interview that Douglas did with journalists in New York City to promote his romantic comedy "And So It Goes." He made several comments about "Ant-Man" during the interview.
Douglas expressed disappointment that director Edgar Wright has left the "Ant-Man" movie. Wright's departure from "Ant-Man" was announced in May 2014. In a joint statement, Marvel and Wright (who helped develop the "Ant-Man" movie since 2006) said Wright leaving "Ant-Man" was due to "differences in their vision of the film." Wright, Joe Cornish and Adam McKay are credited as a co-writer of the "Ant-Man" screenplay.
Peyton Reed has replaced Wright as director of "Ant-Man," which is scheduled for release on July 17, 2015. (McKay had been in talks to direct the movie after Wright left the project, but McKay dropped out of the discussions and decided to make "Ant-Man" screenplay revisions instead.) Douglas confirmed reports that "Ant-Man" begins filming in August 2014 in Atlanta.
Paul Rudd stars as the title character in "Ant-Man." Other announced cast members include Evangeline Lilly, Patrick Wilson, Corey Stoll, Michael Peña, Kevin Weisman and Matt Gerald. Douglas had this to say about working with Rudd: "I'm looking forward to it."
Douglas further commented on being in "Ant-Man," which is the first superhero movie that he has done in his Oscar-winning career: "I'm so excited. It's a Marvel Comics movie. They actually pay you really well. There's going to be a sequel. It's got some humor to it and some interesting effects, to say the least."
As for Wright parting ways with the "Ant-Man" movie, Douglas said: "Yeah, he’s a wonderful talent. It was very disappointing, yeah. It was a big disappointment and more so for him because he had a lot of years invested, and he was really the one initially who got them to even consider it with the screenplay that he wrote.
"I’m not the producer on it. I’m an actor for hire. And Marvel certainly has a pretty amazing track record, rightly or wrongly, so I think it just was that kind of combination where although they like the idea of the individual and somebody with Edgar’s individual spirit and everything, maybe just collided with an operation. I think they’re all on relatively decent terms."
During the interview, Douglas had this to say about his first-ever appearance at Comic-Con: "I’m going to Comic-Con. I’m even dragging my son [Dylan]. I’m taking him out of camp … But we've be back here. I’ve got to give a cancer speech on Sunday morning [July 27, 2014. Marvel’s [Comic-Con panel] is ... on Saturday night [July 26, 2014], so we’re going to fly all night back and drop him at camp like at 5:30, 6 in the morning in the Adirondacks, and come down and talk to 2,000 head and neck surgeons.” (Douglas survived tongue cancer in 2010.)
As previously reported, Marvel will also have a Comic-Con panel for "Avengers: Age of Ultron" on July 26, 2014. The panel's participants have not yet been officially announced, but are expected to include Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and writer/director Joss Whedon.