Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will join the increasingly crowded spring 2014 release window and serve as a single-mission prologue to The Phantom Pain. That single-mission sees players attempt a rescue mission in Cuba that introduces new gameplay elements acts as a bridge between the linearity of existing titles and the full open-world environments of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
"The advanced capabilities of the FOX Engine have allowed me to tell the new story in a new way. There will be a significant difference in what Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain brings to the series, so we want to ease players into the new open world environment and its potential," series creator Hideo Kojima wrote in a press release. "As such, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has been designed to introduce key elements, allowing them to fully benefit from all that the new game will offer."
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will cost $29.99 for the the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One at retail when it is released in spring 2014. However, the PS3 and Xbox 360 digital versions will cost $19.99 but will be $29.99 on the PS4 and Xbox One.
No release date was announced for Phantom Pain but a release later in 2014 seems likely.
Here are the key features for Ground Zeroes listed by Konami.
• The power of Fox Engine – Ground Zeroes showcases Kojima Productions’ stunning FOX Engine, a true next-generation game engine which revolutionizes the Metal Gear Solid experience.
• Introduction to Open World design – The first Metal Gear Solid title to offer open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes offers total freedom of play: how missions are undertaken is entirely down to the user.
• Unrestricted Stealth – Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no restrictions or boundaries. Players use intelligence and cerebral strategy to sneak their way through entire missions, or go in all guns blazing. Each will have different effects on game consequences and advancement.
• Multiple missions and tasks – Ground Zeroes boasts a central story mode and additional side-missions ranging from tactical action, aerial assaults and “covert” stages that will be sure to surprise.
• Redesigned interface – Ground Zeroes users will benefit from a clean in-game HUD that shows the minimal amount of on-screen data to give a more intense gaming experience.
• Various in-game weather settings – Ground Zeroes will test the player in a variety of time and weather environments that will be central to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Use night conditions to your advantage, or poor weather as strategic cover.
• True next generation gaming – Available simultaneously with the current generation of gaming consoles, Ground Zeroes will give PS4 and Xbox One consumers the chance to showcase the power of their new machines.
You can follow Scott via Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed or email alerts for all the latest game news and deals as well as the weekly Furious Fourcast podcast/videocast. All game news on Examiner can be followed at the Game On Facebook page and Twitter feed.