The Spanish sports daily magazine Marca released their top 10 Latin American players list for 2012 where Mexican national team player Oribe Peralta appears in the sixth position. The Club Santos Laguna player had a dream season in 2012 winning the Olympic gold medal at the London 2012 games, the Mexican Clausura 2012, and scoring in three FIFA World Cup Qualification games.
Peralta has been on a roll since 2011when he won the gold medal at the Pan-American games. He was included in the U-23 team as one of the three players over age 23 allowed in the competition per team. He scored six goals in the Pan-Am games. In 2012, he had four goals with the senior national team, three in World Cup Qualifiers. He also scored four goals at the Olympics. Two of those goals were in the final where Mexico claimed gold with a 2-1 victory against Brazil.
At the end of Santos’ championship Clausura 2012 season, Peralta was awarded the Best Striker accolade. These achievements were enough to earn him a spot in the top 10 Latin American players according to Spain’s sports daily Marca.
Topping the list is Barcelona’s Lionel Messi of Argentina. Messi scored 90 goals in 2012 beating a record set by Germany’s Gerd Muller in 1972.
Colombian Radamel Falcao is second on the list. He helped Atletico de Madrid conquer the Europa League then won the European Super Cup against England's Chelsea FC.
Argentine Sergio “Kun” Agüero rounds-off the top three after his performance helped England’s Manchester City win their first league title.
The list is as follows:
- Lionel Messi, FC Barcelona, Argentina
- Radamel Falcao, Atletico de Madrid, Colombia
- Sergio “Kun” Agüero, Manchester City, Argentina
- Arturo Vidal, Juventus, Chile
- Gonzalo Higuain, Real Madrid, Argentina
- Oribe Peralta, Club Santos Laguna, Mexico
- Edinson Cavani, SS Napoli, Uruguay
- Jackson Martinez, FC Porto, Colombia
- Juan Arango, Borussia Mönchengladback, Venezuela
- Carlos Saucedo, San Jose de Oruro, Bolivia
Marca releases the list annually.