The Met Ball has been dubbed the Oscars of Fashion in New York City. The dress code this year was black tie with a couture Charles James theme to honor a lesser known designer. There were many hits and misses on the red carpet. Some celebs took risks that paid off while others were complete fashion fails. Here is our rundown of the best and worst dressed.
Best Dressed :
• Blake Lively in Gucci.
• Rihanna in a Stella McCartney crop top and skirt.
• Charlize Theron in Dior.
• Beyonce in in custom Givenchy.
• Kim Kardashian played it safe in Lanvin after her fashion mishap at the event last year.
• Sarah Jessica Parker in Oscar De La Renta
• Victoria Beckham in a simple white dress from her own fashion line.
Reese Witherspoon in Stella McCartney.
Anne Hathaway in Calvin Klein.
Kendall Jenner in Top Shop.
Emma Stone in Thakoon.
Chrissy Teigen in Ralph Lauren.
We must explain that the designers create gowns for a chosen celebrity who is their fashion muse for the evening. We look at the Met Gala as a virtual catwalk.
- Kate Upton in Dolce & Gabbana. We think that the sexy supermodel looked like a waitress working at a saloon in the Wild West. It's unfortunate that the Italian design duo did not take advantage of her curves.
- Lupita Nyong'o in Prada. The Oscar winner is a fashion world darling and has been nailing every look on the Awards season red carpet. We don't blame Lupita for the fashion faux pas which can be described as a flapper inspired costume with a head band. The actress told reporters that she didn't love the design but the Italian designer made it anyway for her to wear on the big night. "This [was] the first sketch they showed us," she told Vogue, pointing to her green Prada dress. "We nixed it, we didn't understand the sketch. We were like, 'No, maybe not. When I saw it hanging there, of course, I was deeply attracted to it," she said. "I call it the taxi dress'
- Katie Holmes in Marchesa. Poor Katie looked like she was dressed like the Disney character Belle in a frumpy yellow dress. We also didn't like that her hair was a mess.
- Kristen Stewart in Chanel. The Twilight actress looked like she was engulfed in feathers and an unflattering silhouette.
Celebs had fun during the evening while sharing images on Instagram and hitting several after parties including the annual event at Top of the Standard. Rihanna changed into another gold dress with a plunging back which showed off her assets. Wow!