Ben Haggard, Merle Haggard’s youngest son, will appear on an album featuring some of Merle Haggard’s most beloved songs. Billboard announced on March 20 that “Working Man’s Poet: A Tribute To Merle Haggard” will be released by Broken Bow Records on April 1.
Merle Haggard’s son Ben will perform his father’s hit “Mama Tried,” as well as “Sing Me Back Home.” The album honoring Merle Haggard’s five-decade career in country music will also include performances by Luke Bryan, Toby Keith, Dierks Bentley, Thompson Square, Jake Owen, Garth Brooks and more.
Just after the album drops on April 1, the Academy of Country will honor Merle Haggard with the Crystal Milestone Award at the 2014 ACM Awards on April 6. Merle Haggard’s career in country music took off in 1964, when his hit single "Sing a Sad Song" got him noticed. Though his career has been wrought with songs that ruffled the political feathers of some, his famous twang and rough-around-the-edges sound has earned him a pedestal in country music.
Haggard was the first-ever ACM Entertainer of the Year in 1970 and he is a Country Music Hall of Fame Member. The first-ever tribute album to Merle Haggard will include the following tracks:
1. "Misery And Gin" - Randy Houser
2. "Footlights" - Joe Nichols
3. "Going Where The Lonely Go" - Jason Aldean
4. "Today I Started Loving You Again" - Kristy Lee Cook
5. "Carolyn" - Toby Keith
6. "Pancho And Lefty" - performed by Luke Bryan & Dierks Bentley
7. "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" - Garth Brooks (Walmart Deluxe Edition only)
8. "You Take Me For Granted" - Thompson Square
9. "Mama Tried" - Ben Haggard
10. "That’s The Way Love Goes" - Dustin Lynch
11. "Make Up and Faded Blue Jeans" - Jake Owen
12. "I’m A Lonesome Fugitive" - James Wesley
13. "Workin’ Man Blues" - Parmalee
14. "Are The Good Times Really Over" - Jason Aldean
15. "Let’s Chase Each Other Around The Room" - Thompson Square
16. "I Think I’ll Just Stay Here And Drink" - Dustin Lynch
17. "The Fightin’ Side Of Me" - James Wesley
18. "My Favorite Memory" - Joe Nichols
19. "Ramblin’ Fever" - Randy Houser
20. "Sing Me Back Home" - Ben Haggard
Chat about this and other country music news on Facebook at Dirt Road Rendezvous or follow @JaelynJamik on Twitter or Pinterest! For even more news about your favorite country music stars, click here or receive spam-free email updates by clicking Subscribe at the top of this article.
This article may not be copied or reproduced in any form without the express written consent of the author, Jaelyn Jamik, or Clarity Digital Media. Any excerpt reproduced must not exceed 75 words and must provide a link back to the original article and Examiner.com.