On Feb. 14, TV By the Numbers reported that Meredith Vieira would step in for Bob Costas at the Sochi Olympics on Valentine’s Day. By doing so, she’s set to make history as the first women ever to anchor the NBC Olympics primetime broadcast alone.
According to “Today,” Bob Costas is stepping aside tonight due to a pesky eye infection. All week, he has reported on air wearing eyeglasses to cover his swollen left eye. The infection spread to his other eye also. Last night, Matt Lauer stepped in to replace Costas. On Valentine’s Day, Vieira will make history at the Sochi Olympics as the first-ever female anchor.
Meredith Vieira talked about temporarily replacing Bob Costas and said:
It’s an honor to fill in for him. You think about the Olympics, and you think about the athletes and then Bob Costas.
It’s quite a coup for Vieira, who hosted “The View” from 1997-2006 and “Today” from 2006-2011. In 2014, she will star in her own afternoon daytime talk show titled “The Meredith Vieira Show.”
- 10 a.m. EST: NBCSN – Figure Skating (Men's Free Skate, Groups 1 and 2)
- 12 p.m. EST: NBCSN – Figure Skating (Men's Free Skate, Groups 3 and 4)
- 12 p.m. EST: USA Network – Hockey (Canada vs. AUT), curling (GBR vs. JPN)
- 12 p.m. EST: MSNBC – Hockey (NOR vs. FIN)
- 2:30 p.m. EST: NBCSN – Ski Jumping (Men’s Indiv. Large Hill)
- 3 p.m. EST: NBC – Biathlon (Women's 15km Individual), Freestyle Skiing (Women's Aerials)
- 3 p.m. EST: NBCSN - Hockey (SWE vs. SUI)
- 5 p.m. EST: NBCSN: Hockey Game of the Day (M): CAN vs. AUT
- 5 p.m. EST: CNBC – Curling (USA vs. RUS)
- 8 p.m. EST: NBC – Alpine Skiing (Men's Super-Combined), Skeleton (Women's Runs 3 and 4), Figure Skating (Men's Free Skate)
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.