Talk about great timing, smack on the heels of President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, a play about the horror stories of the uninsured is about to run throughout California. In a press release received today (October 21), the Stella Adler Studio of Acting and Harold Clurman Laboratory Theater Company, in collaboration with the Campaign for a Healthy California (CHC), announced they are taking Michael Milligan’s new play, “Mercy Killers” on tour throughout California from Nov. 7 thru November 22, 2013.
Milligan, who was inspired to write the topical one-man play after hearing horror stories from the uninsured, examines healthcare horrors through Joe, a man being interrogated by the police over the death of his terminally ill wife. Joe is a working-class American man sympathetic to the ultra-conservative Tea Party movement and the libertarian convictions of self-reliance and the free market. When his cancer-stricken wife loses her health insurance and they become trapped in the labyrinth of the privatized healthcare system, Joe’s faith in the American Dream is put to the test and he is driven to make a fateful act.
Following each performance will be a panel discussion with local advocates and audience members to explore next steps in finishing the job of healthcare reform in California.
The tour was precisely time to coincide with President Obama’s healthcare program. No newcomer to the theater, Milligan has appeared on Broadway in shows such as “August: Osage County” "La Bete," and "Jerusalem."
This is one play everybody should plan to see, here’s a schedule of some of the performances:
- November 7, 2013 at 7 p.m. at Warren Atherton Auditorium San Joaquin Delta College in Stockton. Delta Center for the Arts Box Office 209-954-5110 (Tickets free* to all students with student ID) or contact MercyKillersNov7@yahoo.com 209-639-4191
- November 8, 2013 at 6 p.m. at Del Oro High School Auditorium, 3301 Taylor Road, Loomis, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 916-396-6601
- November 9, 2013 at 7 p.m. at Colonial Theater, 3522 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, email@example.com or call 530-867-2591
- November 11, 2013 at 7 p.m. at Veteran’s Memorial Center Theater, 203 E. 14th Street, Davis, HCA-Yolo@comcast.net or call 530-747-0380
- November 14, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. City College of San Francisco, Mission Campus, Rooms 107 & 108, 1125 Valencia Street, San Francisco, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-641-8616
- November 20, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. IATSE Local 802520 West Olive Avenue, Burbank (LA), email@example.com or call 818-331-1261
If this whole affordable insurance registration process bogels you as much as most, check out the animated video for some help.