President Barack Obama, his wife Michelle, and 218 guests feasted on steamed lobster, grilled bison and apple pie à la mode at the 2013 inaugural luncheon at Statuary Hall in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 21.
According to the menu posted online by the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, the three-course meal included hearty main courses accompanied by fresh heirloom vegetables and dessert of pie, ice cream and assorted cheeses.
The luncheon followed morning festivities where Obama, 51, was ceremonially sworn in for his second term as president of the United States. The star-studded inauguration included stirring performances by Beyonce, who sang the national anthem, and Kelly Clarkson, who performed "My Country, 'Tis of Thee."
The menu was taste-tested by the First Lady and featured the following courses:
- Steamed Lobster with New England Clam Chowder Sauce
- Sautéed Spinach
- Sweet Potato Hay
- Hickory-Grilled Bison with Red Potato Horseradish Cake
- Butternut Squash Purée
- Baby Golden Beets and Green Beans
- Strawberry Preserve and Red Cabbage
- Hudson Valley Apple Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream
- Artisan Cheeses
- Tierce Finger Lakes Dry Riesling (2010)
- Korbel Natural, Special Inaugural Cuvée California Champagne
- Bedell Cellars Merlot (2009)
[Related: Michelle Obama wows in red-hot inaugural ball gown]