Memorial Day 2014 is coming up this weekend, so get those white shoes and Coach wristlets ready ladies. Here in Raleigh, we welcome the gateway to summer with open arms after the winter we just endured! Are you wondering the dates of Memorial Day and what will be opened or closed? Let’s get started.
The date of Memorial Day 2014 is Monday, May 26, 2014. The dates for Memorial Day weekend are Friday, May 23 2014 thru Monday, May 26, 2014.
In 1971, Memorial Day was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress and the date was set as the last Monday in May. The following is a list of government offices and businesses that are closed and open on Memorial Day, May 26, 2014:
- Government offices: Federal, state, county and municipal government offices are closed on Memorial Day with very few exceptions.
- Retail stores: Memorial Day is a day many people enjoy hitting the malls, outlet centers and other retail stores due to their great Memorial Day sales. There may be a few local stores that close their doors for that day; however they are few and far between.
- Banks: Most banks and credit unions are closed on Memorial Day; however most banking can now be conducted on-line and through ATM transactions.
- Mail delivery: Memorial Day is a Federal holiday so there will be no mail delivery. All U.S. Post Offices are closed on Monday, May 26, 2014.
- Schools: Most public schools are closed unless there are days to be made up due to bad weather. If your schools had to make up several days this year, double check with your county to be sure.
- Libraries: Public libraries are closed.
- Stock market: All U.S. stock markets are closed on Memorial Day.
Brush up on your Memorial Day fun facts and trivia
Looking for events in Raleigh, NC to commensurate Memorial Day 2014? Here are five events around town for you and your family to observe:
- Memorial Day Service, Annual Memorial Day Service in Cary sponsored by Post 67 Cary, NC American Legion. 05/26 Monday 10:00 am, Hillcrest Cemetery , Cary NC
- Memorial Day Picnic- Wake forest. Hope Baptist Church of Wake Forest invites you to join us for a full day of fun and enjoyment. We have held this event for 13 years, and it has been a blessing to us as we encourage the community to come together and honor those who have served in our military, and thank God for His protection throughout American history. This event is open to the public and is full of activities that are sure to make this a special and memorable day for the entire family! Throughout the course of the day there will be captivating speeches, lively bluegrass, country, and folk music, and games for children young and old. This event is held at The Brown Farm located on Quarry Rd. in Wake Forest. It is an outdoor event but there will be bathrooms provided and everything is held under a large tent. Address: 3721 Quarry Rd Wake Forest, NC 27587
- Memorial Day Observance 2014- Historic Oakwood Cemetery will hold a ceremony of tribute to our deceased veterans who have served this country on Mon., May 26, 2014 at 4pm. The setting will be the beautiful Veterans’ Field of Honor within Historic Oakwood Cemetery. This meaningful 45 minute ceremony will have meaningful music, tributes to our military and a key note speaker. Times: 4-4:45pm Venue: Historic Oakwood Cemetery Location: Historic Oakwood Cemetery, Field of Honor Address: 701 Oakwood Ave., Raleigh, NC 27601 Admission: Free Phone:919.832.6077
- Memorial Day Wreath laying ceremony at North Carolina State Capitol- May 26, 2014. North Carolina State Capitol. 11:30am
- Stars, Stripes and Celebration! At Marbles Kids Museum- May 26, 2014. 201 E Hargett St, Raleigh, NC 27601. Saturday, May 24 - Monday, May 26 | 9am-5pm We’ll have a blast welcoming back summer and celebrating the USA with Memorial Day play! Join us for Fizzy Fireworks Painting, a Rocket Science Lab and more spring into summer fun.
You still have plenty of time to plan a fabulous Memorial Day cookout!
In between all the Memorial Day sales at the mall and enjoying a barbecue with friends and family in the backyard, take time this Memorial Day to remember those service men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our freedom. It’s all about them!
Be safe, have fun and may God continue to bless the U.S.A.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!