Last week, it was reported that members of ISIS destroyed the tomb of the prophet Jonah. They are also being blamed for the destruction of Seth's tomb, (third son of Adam) and torching 11 churches in Iraq.
ISIS is led by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who is said to have professed himself a descendant of the Muslim prophet Muhammad. The report comes from the Iraqi News pointing the finger of blame at members of ISIS for desecrating the tomb.
Iraqi News reported: "there is information that almost certainly confirms that members of the organization of the Islamic state in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS, ISIL) dug up the grave of the Prophet Younis (biblical Jonah) in the east of Mosul."
Elements of ISIS have controlled the mosque of Jonah, located in Mosul, since they first invaded the city. The tomb is still held by the terror group. A local Nineveh official, Zuhair al-Chalabi said "ISIL engaged in the process of tampering with the contents of the Mosque."
Not only did members of ISIS destroy Jonah's tomb but they also demolished Seth's tomb and torched 11 out of 35 churches and monasteries according to an Iraqi police spokesman, in Ninawa, Maj. Ahmed al-Obaidi. These horrific acts of barbarism show that ISIS is intent on establishing chaos in Iraq.
ISIS has destroyed statues of poets, literary and historical figures in Mosul. They also killed three Sunni clerics and set fire to government buildings. As ISIS rampages across Iraq they are destroying and looting Shia, Sunni and Sufi mosques as well. Here is a link to an unverified video allegedly showing members of ISIS destroying Jonah's tomb.
Both Christians and Muslims have lived in Nineveh for centuries without inflicting violence upon each other, according to Father Sabah Boutros of St. George’s Church in Baghdad. It certainly seems possible that ISIS members are bent on destroying 2,000 years of Christian history in Iraq.
On Wed. Newsmax reported Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned that ISIS was "an imminent threat to the United States and every stabilized country on earth."
We have documented numerous atrocities by radical Muslims against Christians throughout the Middle East and the world. Click on the links below to read about those accounts.
- Nigerian pastor shot by Muslim extremists says 'I will never deny my Savior'
- Al-Qaeda beheads Syrian Christian then feed his remains to dogs
- Christian blood bottled by radical Muslims, sold in Saudi Arabia
- Barbaric acts of rage: Egyptian Christians hacked to death by Muslim Brotherhood
- Muslim Brotherhood accused of killing 10-year-old Christian girl
- Nigerian pastor beheaded after Muslims demand, 'renounce your faith or die'
- Christian man prays for Muslims stoning him
- Muslim extremists suspected of killing Kenyan pastor while he was praying
- 45 Christians buried in mass graves massacred by radical Muslims in Sadad, Syria
- The growing persecution of religious minorities in Pakistan
- Rebels plant Al-Qaeda flags atop of churches in Syria
- Christians face daily persecution and death across Africa and the Middle East
- Terror group al-Nusra Front attacks Syrian Christian village
If you would like to read more articles by Joseph please consider subscribing to receive an email notification when new articles are posted. (Just click the blue subscribe link near the photo that accompanies this article.) You can follow Joseph on Twitter @cybervoyager62.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joseph’s author page at the Conservative Firing Line. If you would like to read more Christianity articles click here. You can also find Joseph’s Marine Corps articles by clicking here.
To read inspirational works and view photos by Joseph please visit Joseph L. Parker Freelance Writer and Nature Photographer. You can also watch inspirational videos on Joseph's Youtube channel.