This weekend is the much anticipated 8th Annual Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon put on by Helen Woodward Animal Center (HWAC) and sponsored by Blue Buffalo. This yearly event helps to raise much-needed funds for orphaned animals and community activities that HWAC conducts.
Each year a few celebrities step up in order to help judge the contest. This year a few of the judges include:
· Jaime Chambers (Surf Judge): Jaime can be seen reporting for the Fox 5 San Diego Evening News Monday-Friday at the 5:00, 6:00, and 10:00 p.m. newscasts. He began his career as a full-time broadcast reporter for KTLA’s “Prime News,” in 2003. An avid surfer and snowboarder, Jaime also provides surf and snow reports for the “KTLA Morning News,” as well as “Prime News.” Jaime is married to his college sweetheart, Julie, and is the proud father of Annabelle Kate Chambers.
· Kahuna Bob (Surf Judge): Bob, who is arguably the premier surfing Instructor along the Southern California coast, began surfing in Miami Beach, Florida back in 1963. He is an expert performer on all the different types of surfboards varying surf breaks and ocean conditions. You can find Bob featured in Surfology 101, the first interactive CD-ROM on Surfing, giving the basic surfing lesson. He has been instructing students from four to sixty-seven along the Southern California beaches for the past twenty years as well as being the surfing instructor at the prestigious Hotel Del Coronado for the last five years. In 1990 and 1991 Bob coached the UCSD Surf Team to the State and National Championships and he currently coaches the Valley Middle School in Carlsbad, California, known as the VIKINGS SURF TEAM. Kahuna Bob has been listed as one of the top male tandem surfers in the world.
· Sunshine Makarow (Surf Judge): Sunshine is the founder and publisher of Surf Life for Women magazine (in print from 2003 - 2006). She is a member of the CSUSM national champion collegiate surf team, two-time West Coast Women's Champion, and former U.S. Surf Team member. Sunshine has taught at numerous surf dog clinics, and has been judging the Surf Dog Surf-a-thon since the inaugural event.
· Bonnie-Jill Laflin (Costume Judge): Bonnie-Jill is a model, actress, broadcast journalist, fashion-designer and NBA scout. She is the Assistant GM for the Lakers’ Minor League Team, the Los Angeles D-Fenders, and holds a Super Bowl ring and five NBA championship rings. Closest to her heart, however, is her dedication to the military and the welfare of animals. This passion motivated her to found the charitable organization, Hounds for Heroes. Bonnie-Jill currently resides in Los Angeles with all of her rescues Chihuahua-Boston Terrier mix, Diamond, Pug-French Bulldog mix, Wilt Chamberlain, and her cat, Johnny Cash.
· Magic's Jagger & Kristi (Costume Judges): Jagger and Kristi can be heard weekday mornings from 5:00 until 10:00 a.m. on Magic 92.5 XHRM-FM. They have been entertaining San Diego radio listeners for eleven years now. They also happen to be one of the few married radio teams in the country. Before being paired up on the air in San Diego, they pursued individual careers in radio. Jagger worked in lots of small markets before heading to Los Angeles then San Francisco. Kristi worked in her hometown of Milwaukee then headed to the West Coast working in San Francisco and San Diego.
These celebrities will help to make this day a complete success. Thanks to the Blue Buffalo Company, the nation’s leading, pet food company, for pitching in and sponsoring this exciting, worthwhile pet event. For more information about this healthy, holistic natural food and treat producer, visit BlueBuffalo.com.
As always, Helen Woodward Animal Center has outdone themselves by coordinating this event. People come from all around to witness the dogs surfing on Del Mar Beach. Stay tuned Sunday to watch your favorite contender ‘hang paw’ to see if they can be crowned the next King or Queen of the Beach!!