Meet the mulberry, which Dr. Mehmet Oz is calling the hottest new superfood for battling diabetes, cholesterol and even heart disease while helping you lose weight by blocking sugar. Featuring it on his September 30 talk show, Dr. Oz says that even though it's tiny, it's powerful when it comes to its health benefits for your diet.
Dr. Oz recommends mulberries because of their high level of fiber, protein and antioxidants and ability to inhibit the digestion of sugar. He's calling dried white mulberries the "tasty new health sensation that's about to sweep the country." Among the benefits:
- They contain half the sugar in most dried fruits.
- They're sweet and satisfying, with a high level of antioxidants to protect your heart, making them great for dieters.
- They're a great source of protein, with four grams of protein in just 1/3 of a cup.
- Mulberries are high in fiber, with 20% of your daily fiber needs in just 1/3 of a cup.
- "White mulberry leaves have scientists especially excited, since they may help prevent diabetes," says Dr. Oz. The reason: They inhibit sugar digestion.
- They're inexpensive, and you can find mulberry tea in health food stores or online, such as Teandi Mulberry Tea.
- If you prefer the dried fruit, you can buy dried mulberries at health food stores or online, such as Navitas Naturals Organic Mulberries (click for more information) or Sun-dried White Mulberries.
- Prone to snack attacks? You can also find it in trail mixes, such as Navitas Naturals Organic Trail Mix (Goji-Mulberry-Goldenberry).
- Dr. Oz also notes that "sugar controller" mixes are available, such as Cinnamon Gymnema Mulberry Complex.