Today’s recipe feature is Mediterranean Crostini. Toasted baguette slices are topped twice – first with a delicious, garlicky chickpea spread and then with a wonderful relish made with olives and celery. The dish is finished with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. This is a fantastic appetizer for the holidays or anytime of the year. Healthy and joyous eating!
Mediterranean Crostini (Recipe courtesy Martha Stewart)
- 1 can (15 ½ oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 large pitted green olives, cut into 1/8-inch slivers
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery, plus celery leaves for garnish
- 12 slices (1/3 inch thick) baguette, toasted
Make spread: In a food processor, combine chickpeas, ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Pulse to form a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Make relish: In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, olives, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Divide chickpea spread evenly among toasts, and top with olive relish. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil; season with pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with celery leaves. Serving yield – four servings.