UTC, Hamilton Sundstrand in Rockford, IL has a position that is responsible for the Mechanical Design Section of the Electric Systems Test Equipment Engineering department, serving all UTC Aerospace Systems business units.
The Mechanical section is responsible for the mechanical test equipment design, development, build, and introduction of complex system development test platforms, including primary generation, emergency power, instrumentation, hydraulics, test adaptors and fixtures, and related mechanical design.
- Identifying and implementing continuous improvement opportunities, leading the team in structure design reviews across disciplines to validate requirements and ensure compliance with program needs, implementing modular test setups, identifying future customer needs and initiating capital projects such as a new test equipment laboratory to handle future testing requirements.
- Mechanical test equipment manager leads the coordination with union labor on in-house versus out of house build decisions.
- Laboratory safety is a critical element of this design work.
Key job duties include:
- Talent Development - Execute plans for the recruitment, training, development and retention of engineering talent. Review staffing demands monthly and assign capable staff to test equipment projects.
- Program Execution and Financial Oversee planning and execution of projects to consistently meet or exceed costs, schedule and technical objectives. Maintain capital and expense budgets, and prioritize projects in accordance with business needs. Manage departmental indirect spending within allocated budgets.
- Quality/Productivity/EH&S - Drive continuous improvements in customer satisfaction and workforce productivity using ACE principles. Develop and implement test equipment engineering standard work. Ensure consistent application of ACE tools (MF, standard work, QCPC, RRCCA, etc.) across programs. Oversee EH&S assessments, plans, and corrective actions for both locations.
- Technology-Work closely with internal customers to understand needs and develop the test equipment technology solutions to drive test productivity growth. Develop UTC Aerospace Systems test equipment intellectual property which creates competitive advantage.
- Test Strategy Development ('3) Develop test coverage methodologies, criteria and supportive test strategies to meet business needs for Electrical Systems products. Coordinate test system design with programs to assure test program coverage.
BS Mechanical Engineering degree with 7 years experience.
MS Mechanical Engineering degree with 5 years of experience.
MBA degree preferred.
At least 5 years of relevant product design and development experience with demonstrated leadership/supervisory skills.
Candidate must have execellent communication (both verbal and written) and oraganizational skills to establish strong working relationships across the organization.
Must be familiar with test requirements and solutions for commercial aerospace, military and defense test solutions for mechanical products and systems.
Management or large team leadership experience preferred.
- BSME with 7 years; MSME with 5 years, with experience.
United Technologies Corp. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Apply: UTC Hamilton Sundstrand, Human Resources, 4747 Harrison Avenue, Rockford, IL 61108 - (815) 226 - 6000