Many families have joined the Meatless Monday movement and many Catholics are also observing meatless Fridays during Lent. Two meatless days in one week can cause even the best menu planner to scramble for delicious meatless meals.
Meatless taco pizza fills the bill for families who have joined the Meatless Monday movement and observe the no meat on Fridays rule during the Lenten season.
Meatless taco pizza is easy to make and so absolutely delicious your pickiest eater will ask for another slice. Even though this meatless taco pizza recipe contains no meat, it is not vegan. However, if you substitute Daiya Jack style vegan cheese for pepper Jack cheese this meatless taco pizza recipe you can make it vegan. If you cannot find Daiya Jack style vegan cheese, use any brand of vegan cheese in any flavor, such as mozzarella style or cheddar style.
Not a fan of pepper Jack cheese? You can substitute either mozzarella or cheddar or even a blend of cheeses in the vegetarian taco pizza recipe.
Many commercially prepared refried beans are made with lard. Read the label, and try to find a product without lard or make your own refried beans. You can also make your own pizza dough, taco seasoning, and salsa for this vegetarian taco pizza recipe.
This meatless taco pizza recipe makes six slices. If you have a large family or a family with large appetites, you may want to make two pizzas for your meatless Monday dinner. Include a salad made of dark leafy greens with homemade Greek salad dressing or any other homemade salad dressing to round out your meal.
Meatless taco pizza for Fridays in Lent or Meatless Mondays
Ingredients for meatless taco pizza:
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (15-ounces) fat-free or reduced-fat refried beans, stirred to loosen
- ¾ cup medium-hot salsa
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
How to make meatless taco pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 475*F.
- Coat a 14-inch pizza pan or pizza stone with nonstick cooking spray or spritz with olive oil.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat out dough into a 14-inch circle. Gently roll the pizza dough up on a lightly floured rolling pin and unroll onto prepared pizza pan or pizza stone.
- Sprinkle pizza crust with olive oil and taco seasoning, using the back of a spoon to spread over the crust.
- Spread refried beans over dough to within ½-inch of edge. Spoon salsa and black beans onto pizza dough Scatter cheese over top.
- Bake at 475*F for 15 to 17 minutes, or until bottom of pizza is brown and crispy. Remove pizza from oven. Allow to cool for approximately 2 minutes.
- Scatter cilantro, lettuce and tomatoes over the top of the pizza and cut into 6 slices.